Upgrade time - 44 minutes to FTP files, very short time to update.

Digital Doctor

FTP Transfer queue completed
.... Transferred 2,531 files totaling 18.05 MB in 44 minutes 20 seconds (14.4 KB/s)
I am using FlashFXP.
I have relatively fast cable .. uploads at 100 K/s (not min !)
The FTP process seems to pause after each file upload for a brief second. Multiply that by 2,531 files ... it took 44 minutes.

is 44 minutes around how long it takes everyone else ?

How can I speed it up next time ?

If you don't have server access to extract the zip remotely, try Filezilla. It supports multiple connections, so you can upload many single files at once instead of one by one.

Upload the whole zip at once then extract on the server
FTP it where ?
root directory ?
The file: xenforo_1.1.3_upgrade.zip has an embedded /upload directory. So when I extract it ... I'll have to copy it over after that ?
Is there an easy cpanel way of copying from /upload to /community ? Must be.

ah.. you said you have 100K/min
this isn't very fast IMO
Sorry it was 100K/s :)

FileZilla probably would be better my old school FlashFXP is from 2006.
flashFXP.3.4.2006.webp

FTP it where ?
root directory ?
The file: xenforo_1.1.3_upgrade.zip has an embedded /upload directory. So when I extract it ... I'll have to copy it over after that ?

View attachment 42639
The new FlashFXP deals with lots of small files a lot better than it used to.
http://www.flashfxp.com/history

FTP it where ?
root directory ?

View attachment 42639

Just extract them locally and re-zip them without the upload directory if its an issue :)

If you have shell access to the server, uploading one big zip then uncompressing it and copying/moving it into place via a terminal will always be faster. Software can affect the transfer speeds, but it's slow mostly because of the overhead involved in transferring all those little files.

Sometimes, I'll mount the server file system locally and work that way, but it's still not fast because a lot of the data has to come from the server back to me, my machine figures out what to do with it, then transfers it back. Unzipping works this way. If I do it in a terminal, it's all handled on the remote side and happens within a few seconds.

If you have shell access to the server, uploading one big zip then uncompressing it and copying/moving it into place via a terminal will always be faster. Software can affect the transfer speeds, but it's slow mostly because of the overhead involved in transferring all those little files.

Sometimes, I'll mount the server file system locally and work that way, but it's still not fast because a lot of the data has to come from the server back to me, my machine figures out what to do with it, then transfers it back. Unzipping works this way. If I do it in a terminal, it's all handled on the remote side and happens within a few seconds.

My host does exactly that for me as it's prity much instantly installed (within seconds).

Its very easy with cPanel file manager, 1 click upload and 1 click extract, move/copy folders, but there's no option to extract zip files in Plesk :(

I also use latest FlashFXP version and it doesn't support zip extract.

FileZilla is my approach as well when my clients don't have cPanel. I used to use CuteFTP, but that used to get stuck quite a lot. FileZilla is "fire and forget" mostly.

FileZilla is my approach as well when my clients don't have cPanel. I used to use CuteFTP, but that used to get stuck quite a lot. FileZilla is "fire and forget" mostly.

I rarely have issues with CuteFTP. The biggest beef I have with FileZilla is it stores stuff in the clear.

I rarely have issues with CuteFTP. The biggest beef I have with FileZilla is it stores stuff in the clear.

I'm really not sure why we ran into issues, as I also used it for years without any issues. We held several licenses for it, and then suddenly when uploading XF files, it would suddenly drop the connection and would get unable to reconnect. This happened on both my wife's machine and on mine.

Not sure if it's a shoddy connection, but switching ti FileZilla solved everything for us.

Top Bottom