XF 1.5 Upgrade - necessary??

New to XF. Running a board with 1.5.11 just noticed that 1.5.12 is out.

I have little experience upgrading a board, and will likely &&&^% it up. Do I really to update to the latest version? Yah, likely everyone will say its for the best, but really? What would be a typical $$ charge to pay somebody to do this for me (check a couple of add ons, themes, etc).

Thank you.

Gil

New to XF. Running a board with 1.5.11 just noticed that 1.5.12 is out.

I have little experience upgrading a board, and will likely &&&^% it up. Do I really to update to the latest version? Yah, likely everyone will say its for the best, but really? What would be a typical $$ charge to pay somebody to do this for me (check a couple of add ons, themes, etc).

Thank you.

Gil
If you want someone to update it for you, there are third party service providers. I suggest @MattW and you can read what his customers say here: https://xenforo.com/community/threa...k-server-configuration-hosting-support.61392/

Usually the x.x.X updates are easily done without headaches.

This is my site, Skullport, and it is heavily modified. When I updated from 1.5.11 to 1.5.12 I only had one outdated template (a css one). I selected auto merge changes, and done. As stated above, it is a minor update so you should be ok, :)

I tried, with help from my webhost to do this upgrade. It ended up crashing my site and I had to restore everything. YES, I used the 'upgrade only' selection. I had someone on the phone with me trying to walk me through it and it overwrote my whole site!

So yeah, I will be one of those that will need someone to help get this installed. I'm not thrilled.

Ok, it looks like my installation guy (hired) did not install my XF in a sub-directory (I have no separate home page, software, etc). Does that mean I can just upload the upgrade files to the public_html folder? Slowly reading up and educating myself, steep curve for a newbie.

Ok, I was able to update the site. For newbies, I would add to the instructions as follows (tech people love vague and ambiguous statements lol):

1. Download the XF upgrade only files to a local folder on your PC (unzip it).
2. Confirm Xenforo installation folder on the server- is it in the main root or a sub-directory; this will be shown in the file manager on the hosting cPanel; if you're not comfortable here, back out and pay somebody. Lol.
2.5 Use a good ftp client - I used fileZilla, although now I see people are recommending WinSCP
3. Login in to your hosting account (I use siteground) and cPanel - confirm FTP link provided by the hosting company and also check if there is a separate FTP cPanel Username (I did not realize this, and could not access via FTP until support told me what to enter into the FTP client for username, etc)
4. Open the "Upload" folder (don't upload this folder itself) on your local machine, and only upload the contents of the file - upload ALL files (make sure that they OVERWRITE existing files on the remote server; may take 15 min or more.
5. "Point browser at" this took me for a moment, but simply open your browser and type into the address field your domain www.example.com/install which will prompt for your board's ADMIN user name and password. Follow the instructions.
6. Do a file check in the ACP (admin control panel) under tools, file health check.
6.5 Thank everyone for their support here.
7. Go get a cold beer to slow the shaking hands.
Untitled.webp

Good idea, I did a ctrl-a on the local, upload and then chose "overwrite all" when prompted by the remote. When you upload the zip file to the server, do you upload direct into the public_html (or wherever XF installed) and extract it there? Or set up a temporary folder? Thank you.

I typically create a temp directory and upload and extract the files to there.
Then drag and drop them to the directory where XF is installed.

Top Bottom