XF 1.5 Upgrade from XF 1.5 to XF 2.x not working

mmirlach

Hi all,

I've tried to upgrade my Xenforo 1.5.0 installation to both XF 2.0.10 as well as XF 2.0.0 by following the steps as detailed here: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/manual/install-upgrade/#upgrading-from-xenforo-1

It's a pretty straightforward process so I'm not sure what I could have done wrong.

In both cases I got the following error message when browsed to the /install/ directory after the FTP upload of all files from the upload folder: "You have already completed installation. If you wish to reinstall, please delete the file internal_data/install-lock.php."

When deleting the install-lock.php, I only get a request to enter my database information and do a full installation which would delete all content of my old forum.

Any advise?

Thanks. I recon it's an issue with my FTP client then. What (ideally free) client is recommended for Mac? I'm currently using Cyberduck but that did not work.

In any case, neither the library/config.php nor the internal_data/install-lock.php were deleted in the process so I'm still not sure if it's a merging issue.

Last edited:
Oh, and one follow up question: After trying to upgrade the forum (including adding information for the database once but then not hitting the "install" button), I've copied all files from the full 1.5.0 build back on the FTP and the forum is running again. Could it be that this still caused some issues for the upgrade?
(and I'm still running everything on a staging server, so no worries :))

I did try it once more, this time to upgrade to 1.5.16 (just to see if there is a difference if I upgrade to a 1.5.* version), it's the same error message:

Error
You have already completed installation. If you wish to reinstall, please delete the file internal_data/install-lock.php.

I've checked and I do have all files in the internal_data and library folders that I had uploaded when I did the initial installation of 1.5.0 so the FTP software did not delete any files in the process.

Last edited:
Update: I was able to manage the Upgrade... and the solution was rather simple, but weird: Instead of just browsing to /forum/install/ (which always gave me an error message), I had do browse to /forum/install/index.php?upgrade/

Not sure if this is a known issue - took me a while to find out after a lot of trial and error.

Top Bottom