XF 1.4 Upgrade and 503 error

sip

Hi,

During the upgrades (ie while files are being uploaded), instead of seeing board being upgraded I get 503 error. IIRC, this started happening from 1.4.2 onwards for some unknown reasons.

Once upgrade is finished, everything works fine.
Would uploading the full zip (excluding he config file of course) would this be fixed? What else do I need to take care of in case i take this route?

TIA

It's expected that errors may occur as the files are being uploaded via FTP, due to the amount of time taken.

The only way around it really is to upload the .zip and extract on the server.

The full .zip should never be used for upgrading and wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Thanks @Brogan
But, admincp works fine with follwing message even when files are being uploaded:

The board is currently waiting to be upgraded. Please complete the upgrade

It's the front end which shows 503. This wasn't the case till 1.4.2

[edit]
The front error doesn't go off even after all files have finished uploading. Only after finishing the upgrade does the front end comes back to normal
[/edit]

Last edited:
This is as designed. The front end is disabled while an upgrade is pending, so that data is correct.

A 503 Service Unavailable error is returned as that's correct - the service is temporarily unavailable as the system is waiting to be upgraded.

It's been like this for a while.

Liam

@Liam W
By 503 I mean it shows the "generic 503" error page instead of the xenforo message within xenforo theme.
It was never this way in 1.4/1.4.1/1.4.2, where the xenforo message in xenforo theme used to be displayed, unlile now where generic 503 page is displayed.

Nothing has changed with the XF system in this regard for some time, so it's possible there have been some server changes. As an example, IIS can replace pages with server errors (based on response code) with its generic version instead. I've never seen this with other web servers though.

Nothing has changed with the XF system in this regard for some time, so it's possible there have been some server changes. As an example, IIS can replace pages with server errors (based on response code) with its generic version instead. I've never seen this with other web servers though.

Nothing on the server has changed since long. It is LSWS (drop in Apache replacement) on cpanel server.
If I were to upload files from a full install package, what are the files that should not be uploaded (besides config file).

Top Bottom