Updating Smilies

ibaker

I have a daunting task and I have no idea the best way to go about it.

Over many years my list of smilies has grown to around 216 and they are now not only far too many for what I want but also many of them are no longer appropriate for my site plus the :code: used on many of them are not descriptive of what they are.

So I now have a list of 130 smilies that I want to use...some are from the current list, some are new, some have the same :code: and some don't.

Any ideas on the best way to go about updating the 222,000 posts that I have to the new smilies?

Warning to others...when creating your smilies list for your site...make sure you give this area a considerable amount of thought for the future and don't get caught out.

I would think the content replacement tool could be used for that? Someone better qualified can probably give you a better answer, but this gives you at least somewhere to start to look.

I have a daunting task and I have no idea the best way to go about it.

Over many years my list of smilies has grown to around 216 and they are now not only far too many for what I want but also many of them are no longer appropriate for my site plus the :code: used on many of them are not descriptive of what they are.

So I now have a list of 130 smilies that I want to use...some are from the current list, some are new, some have the same :code: and some don't.

Any ideas on the best way to go about updating the 222,000 posts that I have to the new smilies?

Warning to others...when creating your smilies list for your site...make sure you give this area a considerable amount of thought for the future and don't get caught out.
The tool that Kier wrote, "Post Content Find / Replace", is going to be your friend to perform such a task.

You will just have to look for your old smiley code, then replace with the new one. If you want to replace several of your old smilies by a same one, it can be done with regex ie:
Search
Code:
#:smilie1:|:smilie2:#ui
Replace
Code:
:newsmilie:

I consolidated a bunch of mine when I imported. The cool thing about XF smilies is that you can trigger them from multiple codes so when I found one that was no longer appropriate, I attached its code to a different one. When I was finished (by hand), I had no broken smilies on the site.

Top Bottom