Updating Plesk Onyx to Obsidian

Sperber

Okay, after I have survived the heartattack this morning, may be someone can help me with that.

What happend:
I am using 2 IPs in Plesk, so in short, one half of the hosted domains on the originally IP which comes with the server, the other half on an IP I ordered additionally. That´s how the server was running for the last 2 years without any problems. Yesterday morning I´ve updated Onyx to Obsidian. Mainly to get rid of an error regarding Dropbox-Backups. Update went smooth, no errors, all sites up - right until this morning 1 AM when my phone decided to wake me up, alarming me that sites were down. And indeed: all domains on the additional second IP resulted in a 502 bad gateway and the logs were full of mainly the same error: connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream

My first thought was mod_security, which I turned on after the update, so I turned it off and restarted the server. Was a turn & burn. Second thought was fail2ban, banning the own server-IP, which is a pretty common issue. But all IPs were still included in the whitelist and no entries in the logs for banning one of them.

I already tried to adress this to the Plesk support, but unfortunally my Plesk license is issued from a reseller, so I had to contact my host instead. And they had no idea, what to do. In the end I restored the server from the image I´d made before updating, so at least the sites are up again. But has anyone encountered something similiar while using 2 IPs?

Maybe the following may help, to do with the reconfigurator.

connect() failed (111: Connection refused) while connecting to upstream

We use 10+ different IPs on Hetzner-Server ;) with plesk Onyx (Starting with Plesk 7.5 by another hoster)
You will need to provide some more details about your configuration if you are looking for help.

Do you use NGix with Apache, which PHP etc.
Plesk is getting worse and worse and uses its users as beta testers, so it is a bad idea to upgrade before a version is marked as "stable" (late adopter).

But this mostly helps because your problem has nothing to do with the IPs.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: I´ve been through the Plesk DB and haven´t found a real match to the problem. I don´t want to do a guessing as I am not a sophisticated server guy. I am just looking for someone who run in the same problem, may be was eligliable for direct Plesk suppport and the problem became fixed in the end ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom