Update notification for Xenforo addons?

I've moved it to suggestions.

I expect though that something like this won't even be able to be considered until the add-on system has been built.

I think this is a pretty big feature but it would be nice to be able to see from your own admin panel when addons have a possible update.

Share your thoughts ladies and gentlemen.

I'm fairly sure this has already been suggested.

This would require each add-on querying back to somewhere, either a central location or individual sites for each one.

I personally wouldn't want my site linking to others in that way.

I'm fairly sure this has already been suggested.

This would require each add-on querying back to somewhere, either a central location or individual sites for each one.

How come?

It could query back to that new addon place coming soon to xF. But I can see where safety and other issues come in.

It could query back to the Resource Manager (hence my reference to the central location), but that would require additional work by the XenForo and add-on developers to create such a system.

It would also require add-on authors to adopt it, and keep it up to date.

Granted, if it was all linked to xenforo.com then I wouldn't have such an issue with it.

It could query back to the Resource Manager (hence my reference to the central location), but that would require additional work by the XenForo and add-on developers to create such a system.

Granted, if it was all linked to xenforo.com then I wouldn't have such an issue with it.
Yesh I agree with you now. The only way i would allow this on my board is if it was linked back to xenforo.com or where ever the official resource manager will be located. Still was an interesting thought.

Any particular reason?

Its quite simple to add, for example how xentrader informs you in ACP if theres a newer version, it calls a php file on my server.

PHP:
        $xentraderVersion = $this->getModelFromCache('XenForo_Model_AddOn')->getAddOnVersion('xentrader');
        $currentVersion = $this->_getCurrentVersion($xentraderVersion['version_id']);
        if ($currentVersion != 'ERROR')
            $outdated = $currentVersion[0] < $xentraderVersion['version_id'];
        else
            $outdated = false;

$viewParams = array(
            'yourVersion' => $xentraderVersion['version_string'],
            'currentVersion' => is_array($currentVersion) ? $currentVersion[1] : $currentVersion,
            'outdated' => $outdated,
            'stats' => $stats,
            'url' => 'http://p8ntballer-forums.com/xentrader',
        );

return $this->responseView('XenTrader_ViewAdmin_Index', 'xentrader_splash', $viewParams);
    }

protected function _getCurrentVersion($xentraderVersion)
    {
        $version = @file_get_contents('http://www.p8ntballer-forums.com/xentrader?xentrader-version=' . $xentraderVersion . '&xenforo-version=' . XenForo_Application::$versionId . '&address=' . $this->getRequest()->getBaseUrl());

if (preg_match('/[0-9.:]/', $version))
        {
            return explode(':', $version, 2);
        }

return 'ERROR';
    }

Then on my server i host a file with the following in.

PHP:
<?php

if (!isset($_GET['address']))
{
    header('location: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xentrader-2-0-user-feedback-system.17276/');
    exit;
}

echo '3:2.0.3';

Extending that to the notification system I don't imagine would be too much effort.

Just that I don't want my site linking back to another, other than an official site such as XenForo.com.

Which is why I reluctantly haven't installed some add-ons, as they do a similar thing to yours.

Are you on about a version check or a copyright? The version check in mine links back only in ACP, and that is only because there is no "official" system in place as of yet :) but I don't quite understand the problem with it, as a version check and/or copyright notice can be interchanged very easily, so if you use any addons with a copyright in place, then the situation potentially could be no different?

Just that I don't want my site linking back to another, other than an official site such as XenForo.com.

Which is why I reluctantly haven't installed some add-ons, as they do a similar thing to yours.
Mine?:D

I understand what Brogan is saying, anything that calls home without advertising or asking for permission is wrong. I have some mods on my test forums that call home, when I go live I will more than likely put in a firewall rule to stop it.

If you must call home to check for version checks either a) publicise that your mod has call home functionality, b) give the forum owner the option of enabling or disabling it.

If you must call home to check for version checks either a) publicise that your mod has call home functionality

tick-icon-png.16227
Automatic notification when a new version is available

:D

To be honest I think notifications of new versions are essential, just look at the vsa flaw on vbulletin recently that allow people to hack your forum if you use an old version. If you haven't visited vb.org recently and are using one of the old vsa modifications your forum is at rick of being hacked. How many forum owners do you think are still running these old versions simply because they don't know theres an updated version out there to fix this.

tick-icon-png.16227
Automatic notification when a new version is available

:D

To be honest I think notifications of new versions are essential, just look at the vsa flaw on vbulletin recently that allow people to hack your forum if you use an old version. If you haven't visited vb.org recently and are using one of the old vsa modifications your forum is at rick of being hacked. How many forum owners do you think are still running these old versions simply because they don't know theres an updated version out there to fix this.

Not entirely true, email alerts were sent out to inform users of issues running Advanced Forum Rules. The point is that the mods should call a central respository (much like vb.org) and if not available make sure the forum owner knows it calls another place and give the option to enable or disable.

Yes :(

It's their job to check.

Just as it is with the core software.

Very true. The responsibility falls to the forum owner to ensure they run the latest version, not the mod author. Almost all software I run gives ME the control whether to check for updates. Mod authors should follow this practise.

Top Bottom