Update notification for Xenforo addons?

Ideally people could easily subscribe to "Update notifications" in the upcoming resource center.

Addon makers should be able to contact people using their addons to minimize security risks.

I would be shocked to see a forum that is "famous" for Alerts, doesn't do an excellent job of alerting members of new updates for xenforo ... and addons.

Ideally people could easily subscribe to "Update notifications" in the upcoming resource center.

Addon makers should be able to contact people using their addons to minimize security risks.

I would be shocked to see a forum that is "famous" for Alerts, doesn't do an excellent job of alerting members of new updates for xenforo ... and addons.

Yes they should but they should also ask the forum owner permission. It is not a given right for a piece of software to perform communication without the owner knowing about it.

Bearing that in mind I have NO issue with any mod calling back to xenforo.com for version checks as I trust that site implicity. Calling lots of sites around the internet I do have an issue with.

Yes they should but they should also ask the forum owner permission. It is not a given right for a piece of software to perform communication without the owner knowing about it.

Bearing that in mind I have NO issue with any mod calling back to xenforo.com for version checks as I trust that site implicity. Calling lots of sites around the internet I do have an issue with.

Thats a somewhat flawed arguement is it not. If someone had access to my PC to be able to edit the relevent files to do something malicious, all they would have to do it re-upload the altered files to xenforo.com from my account which would, more than likely, also be comprimised, and the same effect would be achieved.

If you trust someone to use their addon in the first place, you should trust them to use all of its coded functionality.

Thats a somewhat flawed arguement is it not. If someone had access to my PC to be able to edit the relevent files to do something malicious, all they would have to do it re-upload the altered files to xenforo.com from my account which would, more than likely, also be comprimised, and the same effect would be achieved.

If you trust someone to use their addon in the first place, you should trust them to use all of its coded functionality.

The issue is about calling home not who has access to my PC. The option to enable/disable that functionality within a mod would be most welcome.

I don't see what the argument is about. If you install the addon you should be able to opt-in for update notifications. Simple as that. Similar to the whole "mark as installed" functionality from vB.org. If someone decides to do that then they effectively giving the add-on maker permissions to update them when things are released/changed. I see no reason to believe that a similar feature won't be released with the Resource Manager from K&M.

Some wishlist items:
  • Ability to push update notifications (Simple version # changes to user forums). Similar to how WordPress tells you that a plugin has an available update. It doesn't scream it at you, you just notice the number next to plugins ;).
  • Basic reporting features for addon developers. How many people have downloaded my addon, how many people have it installed. Average addon rating, etc.
  • Ability to make an addon as a PAID or FREE resource. Perhaps categories or prefixes would help aid in this.
Really the thing I'm most excited about will be the organization it will bring. I hate free-for-all content posting on forums without basic organization or categories. I don't know, maybe I have forum OCD or something :D.

Just noticed this a bit late from a duplicate suggestion.

All I want to say is I expect a future version of XenForo to have a very nice add-on system that keeps users up to date from the ACP much better. For example, updates added to a resource to also update the ACP it is installed in. Additional notification if they want.

I have planned to have a simple system in place for this kind of thing. So I can alert users from their ACP. It would work on a cron job. Any add-ons that would make use would be paid ones so there would already be legal matters involved and therefore a degree of trust so the issue of not wanting your site linked to others should in theory be no problem.

It should be easier to keep track of addon updates. A notification in the ACP would be nice.
It should also be easier to go from an addon in ACP to the xenforo.com resource.

@Brogan bot: Can the first post be edited so that it actually describes a suggestion? Its pretty vague ATM and therefore may not attract the popularity it would otherwise get.

..has any consideration been made in regards to notifying in admin.php of updates to add-on's if they are hosted here on XF's resource center - similar to how WP works?

I'm sorry.. I think we're not undrestanding each other. I mean add-ins that we have installed that are found here on XF's resource center - it would be nice if, when we log into our sites admin.php, to be notified if any of our installed add-in's had updates available over here.

I'm sorry.. I think we're not undrestanding each other. I mean add-ins that we have installed that are found here on XF's resource center - it would be nice if, when we log into our sites admin.php, to be notified if any of our installed add-in's had updates available over here.
I don't ever want that to be part of the core....ever, especially for 3rd party plugins.

Why not? I didn't say auto install - just notification there are new releases to what you have - for things hosted here on xenforo.com.

Shrug - we'd find it useful. :)

Why not? I didn't say auto install - just notification there are new releases to what you have - for things hosted here on xenforo.com.

Shrug - we'd find it useful. :)
I don't want my forum hitting xf.com or any other site just to check for an update to a third party addon to be honest.

There is an add-on that does this BTW.

And it's not an in-ACP notification, but downloading a resource will cause you to watch it so you'll receive alerts about it when it updates.

@Mike, Well, there are several of us team members it's not one person doing the downloading (and it's definitely not the main downloader at this point who will be doing the maintaining going forward lol). But, will look for this add on, thanks!!

Edit: I see the threads been merged with another. I realize as one noted "it's the websites owner to make sure they are up to date, not the mod authors" and I agree with that - but I think refusing to back the idea that the system could optionally let you know when there are updates available is a little silly.

There are cases such as ours where more than one person might be downloading plugins, so there's no single point of "watching resources" happening. Further, once this is developed completely for us an the dust has settled it'll likely be just the one of us dealing with plugin' updates.

Sure, I could go down our list of plugin's and download each one myself or watch each one myself then but what if there is turnaround and someone else maintains the forum in the future? Would they have to come and do the same thing?

Wouldn't it be nice if whoever had access to admincp could (optionally) know if there were add-on updates available from the download location?

The suggestion is just in the interest of making life easier on your customers, not a knock on anyone or an insult to the current process. I hightly doubt I'm the only one that feels this way.

Anyway thanks, I've said enough. It was just a suggestion :) I'll check out that add-on. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Top Bottom