XF 1.5 Unregistered user thread viewing

So we moved from vBulletin and are now using xen, there is one thing that I havent been able to replicate from vBulletin that I think is very useful and would be very nice to be able to replicate.

Please see the image attached,

If you have a private forum on vBulletin, it shows a page that you are required to login before you can view this forum. Xen seems to just hide the posts from the users, I want users to be able to view nodes (easy enough to setup in the unregistered node permissions) but then when they click on the node to see threads, I want it to display a page asking them to sign in, unfortunately, currently all it does is "hide" all of the threads showing there are no threads in the section, I think this could put a lot of people off/ they think that there is actually no posts here for them to view...

-Edit: The screenshot is from vBulletin and I want xen to show a similar/same message rather than hiding the threads...

Attachments

• cannotviewvbulletin.webp
    cannotviewvbulletin.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Admin Control Panel -> Users -> Group Permissions

Select the Unregistered/Unconfirmed group and set the permissions like this:

View attachment 142720

Although I appreciate your reply, you're not understanding what I mean. They can already see the "category" its when they go inside to see threads instead of seeing "login to see threads ect ect" they see "no threads"

Setting what you have suggested will allow them to see the threads, which I dont want.

Basically its just a members only section of the forum, but it looks like there is no content in the way xen currently shows it, vBulletin just promoted the user to login to see the content, which is much more user friendly.

Although I appreciate your reply, you're not understanding what I mean. They can already see the "category" its when they go inside to see threads instead of seeing "login to see threads ect ect" they see "no threads"

Are you wanting them to see the thread titles and then if they click on a thread title they get the message "login to see threads ect ect" ?

The only issue with that is, it wont actually give the user the opportunity to login, as it does in the previous attached images, is there no way of inserting that login page depending on parameters?

Just to clarify, are you wanting to display the login page for all forums, or just a few of them?

Just to clarify, are you wanting to display the login page for all forums, or just a few of them?

Lets imagine I have;

General discussion
Tv Shows
Movies
Members only

I want everything to be listed all of the time, including members only, however when the user tries to go inside members only, they get promoted by " you cant do that, login first" at the moment all it does is let them in to the "members only" area and hides the threads...

Just a select few, ie "members only" the rest of the forum will be open to anyone who might want to browse, just certain sub forums/nodes will only be accessible once the user has logged in.

And I know I can display a message but its a bit ugly to basically say "OI login or you cant see this" without actually providing them with an easy login, adding more clicks so they can go and login, then come back is ugly.

Top Bottom