Implemented Unread replies

Lost

Would it be possible to create an 'unread replies' feature?

Usually when I visit a forum, the first thing I want to do, is read all new messages in the threads I participate in. Since I converted my forum from SMF to IP.Board, the users of my forum have complained about the lack of this feature the most. SMF had it, IP.Board doesn't.

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
No, you have to click 'Watch Thread' for it to show up in 'Watched Threads'. 'Unread Replies' automatically shows all threads you have posted in that have new posts since your last visit.

Sure, I can click 'Watch Thread' in each thread I post in (which would work), but I don't think that is very user friendly.

No, you have to click 'Watch Thread' for it to show up in 'Watched Threads'. 'Unread Replies' automatically shows all threads you have posted in that have new posts since your last visit.

Go to "Preferences" in your account: "Automatically watch threads when you reply..."

I assumed you already knew about that option in your account preferences which is why I didn't mention it...
Perhaps it should be checked by default for better usability? If there are power users who don't want to watch all threads they participate in, then they can turn it off.

'Unread Replies' automatically shows all threads you have posted in that have new posts since your last visit.
I've been waiting for someone to ask about this. While the Watched Threads does indeed display the the new posts once entering into a thread, the SMF Unread Replies shows a different view.

I've not seen a Unread Replies feature in any other software other than SMF, that could be unique. Many SMF converts really miss that feature when they convert to other software.

Considering how many SMF forums there are, especially the larger ones, it could be a feature to consider from a marketing view point. Those SMF sites might be more willing to use xf.

Or it may be possible that Everyones News feeds would be a substitute.

Top Bottom