1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unexpectedly Setting a new XenForo Record

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Lawrence, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

While validating some code, I accidentally called a wrong function within a loop, and the result is what I believe is a XenForo record, and it is with great honor that I am the one to hold it. :cool:

hint: look at the queries.
    CyberAP and FreshFroot like this.
  2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Don't just look at the queries. Look at the times! :p I bet with that annoying loop, xenForo would still beat vBulletin 4 :p
    FreshFroot likes this.
  3. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

haha wow! How did your database not overload.. melt.. and send off the local fire alarm :p
  4. Lawrence

I never looked at the time! Wahoo!!! Two records! :cool:
  5. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

The time actually is impressive.....

BTW what mod are you working on Lawrence? or were u just fooling around with stuff?
  6. Lawrence

Actually, the time is twice what I am used to, so it's pretty high for me. For the test, I expected 60 additional queries (12 for each time through the loop).

The add-on is to allow Admins to control banner ads. It normally averages just two additional queries, which is pretty good considering there are 5 Ad spots which can contain a different banner each.
    FreshFroot likes this.
  7. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

How would a small php loop be any different in either ?
    Blandt likes this.
  8. Ryan Ashbrook

Ryan Ashbrook Active Member

I managed to get almost 500 per page load in threads on vB2 once. That was funny. :p

Not gonna lie either, for 165 queries the timing is kind of impressive.
  9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Because what happens in between the loops is what matters :p. This loop is one that went awry and crazy yet still managed to achieve a very decent speed/time/query ratio.

The vBulletin 4 loop is supposed to be optimized and production quality, but speed/time/query ratio is still enormous.
  10. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

My loops better than your loop, so there :p