Ubuntu Operating system

:O Another Arch user!!!! I love Arch! I really do :D But I haven't had the success you've had with stability. For some of it, it's because I'm using AUR. But then I run into other issues and dependencies that won't go away. ldconfig was complaining after every pacman call about having 2 links pointing to the same .so file while being a different type. And I still have not had the same success with wine and some windows apps that I had on my ubuntu partition. But yes, Arch + KDE 4 is the nicest thing I've come across in a while :D My own stability issues aside, I still love it :D

Aye I've noticed minor issues like that too sometimes, generally easily sorted though with a bit of fiddling :p

Have had far worse in Fedora (which used to be my distro of choice) however, and I imagine other distros aren't much better if you run a wide variety of software that isn't straight out of the repos (another thing I like about Arch is pretty much anything will at least be in the AUR).

If you're a mod feel free to merge my Ubuntu thread with yours because I didn't see it before. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/who-uses-ubuntu-linux.24094/
In reply to your thread about Ubuntu: Check out Linux Mint, it's a pretty nice OS for people that don't want to mess around with installing third party drivers or support for MP3 formats. It's pretty much the same as Ubuntu, only with Java, MP3 and Flash able to be installed right away.

I've actually been playing around a bit with setting up Debian as a file server, and am loving it. Anybody who uses the CLI a lot really should check out Screen, too. It's been a nice time saver when switching between different programs through SSH, without having to open a new console each time.

Also, my earlier comments about Arch... I haven't logged on to that partition in around 2 months, as XUL runner seems to be broken beyond repair, and KDE4 has dependency issues for seemingly everything. Sigh, probably will just slap Debian on here too, to make a stable box. RAWR

In reply to your thread about Ubuntu: Check out Linux Mint, it's a pretty nice OS for people that don't want to mess around with installing third party drivers or support for MP3 formats. It's pretty much the same as Ubuntu, only with Java, MP3 and Flash able to be installed right away.

I've actually been playing around a bit with setting up Debian as a file server, and am loving it. Anybody who uses the CLI a lot really should check out Screen, too. It's been a nice time saver when switching between different programs through SSH, without having to open a new console each time.

Also, my earlier comments about Arch... I haven't logged on to that partition in around 2 months, as XUL runner seems to be broken beyond repair, and KDE4 has dependency issues for seemingly everything. Sigh, probably will just slap Debian on here too, to make a stable box. RAWR
I'm getting pretty annoyed with flash and java issues. Are you saying it's installed by default?

I've tried Ubuntu, Mint, openSUSE and Fedora and actually liked the latter two the most. Fedora is really very nice, and has the backing of Red Hat, so you can get a lot of professional support if you need it.

Ubuntu One is their cloud service.... ie... Like your said, its similar to drop box, but it offers a little more. Let's you setup backup options including user settings.

They make it for Ubuntu, Windows, and Apple.
I am playing around with it and it's superior to dropbox. I just need to find some iOS apps that integrate with Ubuntu One.

I'm using WebNotes for iOS to sync notes to Ubuntu One. I noticed in my Ubuntu One Mac app that I could not see the notes. So I looked around and saw that's because the notes are synced to an Ubuntu One feature called Tomboy... So now I'm looking up how to get Tomboy notes to show up on my Mac. The whole purpose of all this Ubuntu One stuff for me is to sync my notes across all device and avoid having to use Dropbox. Now I gotta do this.

To the OP, I suggest looking around at several distributions and downloading their LiveCD / LiveDVD environments for some testing. It will let you get a 'feel' for each distro, as well as allowing you to see if it plays well with your peripherals. At no cost, other than a few minutes of download time and the blank media. That way you can narrow down the field before you do an actual install.

If you are worried about drivers and think you might like Ubuntu, then I agree you should first look at Linux Mint. But remember, everyone has their own ideas on what makes up a good distro. One user gave GNOME 3 a thumbs up, whereas I abhor it.

Then again, this might be the ravings of a crazy, auld git, as I am currently running a deprecated Alpha version of SolusOS 2. :whistle:

To the OP, I suggest looking around at several distributions and downloading their LiveCD / LiveDVD environments for some testing. It will let you get a 'feel' for each distro, as well as allowing you to see if it plays well with your peripherals. At no cost, other than a few minutes of download time and the blank media. That way you can narrow down the field before you do an actual install.

If you are worried about drivers and think you might like Ubuntu, then I agree you should first look at Linux Mint. But remember, everyone has their own ideas on what makes up a good distro. One user gave GNOME 3 a thumbs up, whereas I abhor it.

Then again, this might be the ravings of a crazy, auld git, as I am currently running a deprecated Alpha version of SolusOS 2. :whistle:
I prefer Mint over Ubuntu, though I haven't really put much effort in using Ubuntu in the past.

Looks like I discovered Tomboy too late in the game. :( http://iloveubuntu.net/ubuntu-one-removes-support-tomboy-notes-syncing-end-february-2013

I'm not the only one disappointed. http://voices.canonical.com/ubuntuone/2013/02/04/notification-about-notes/

Screen Shot 2013-06-29 at 11.01.27 PM.webp

Last edited:
You have bad timing. They're doing a systems upgrade and migration.
Strike that..... (they finished that)

You're looking at the Wiki. That doesn't even show the real status.

Debian, Mint, Ubuntu... They all have the bad habit of not updating their Wiki. Visit the Ubuntu forums for more current information.

Last edited:
Top Bottom