Cannot reproduce Typing in XenForo fields behaves strangely on iOS in Safari

NURV

Affected version
Current version on XenForo.com
I write a lot on my phone, but I noticed that when typing on XenForo forums, iOS keyboard functions such as auto correct and backspace behave differently. The keyboard itself seems to have a different sensitivity than when texting or using Facebook. Is there any reason why it should be different on XenForo? I’ve recorded a video of me typing this post as an example. It’s attached to this thread.

Thanks.

Attachments

I haven't experienced that and I don't see what you're trying to demonstrate in your video. Looks normal to me.

Is it possible you just have a slow connection to that site?

Have you tried using an alternat browser - Chrome, Edge, or Firefox - on your iOS mobile?

I haven’t tried others for this particular issue. It just seems weird to behave this way in the native iOS browser.

My video shows a lot of typos and backspacing, but when I type normally on text and Messenger and stuff, I rarely make errors. The errors in the video are much more prevalent typing on the same phone, same keyboard layout, etc. Another issue is if I make a typo right after a word, when I backspace one space, it backs up all the way to the previous word or punctuation instead of just going one space back.

It’s noticeably bad sensitivity compared to typing on other apps on the same phone. I can try other browsers, but it seems to be a XenForo issue. I can type on other forum software in Safari without these issues.

(I typed this post on iOS Safari and ran into issues throughout.)

I'm totally lost on the topic of "sensitivity" of auto correct here. What specifically in your video is demonstrating that as being incorrect behaviour? What actually is the issue specifically? Ideally we just need a written description of what is wrong specifically.

Another issue is if I make a typo right after a word, when I backspace one space, it backs up all the way to the previous word or punctuation instead of just going one space back.
We know about this one and I believe it is fixed in Froala 3.x which will be included in XF 2.2.

I can confirm some odd behaviors with backspacing (deleting) and autocorrect. I’ll get some reproductive steps when I’m at my desk ( on the road at this time)

As I just noted, we know of an issue related to backspace so we won't need a reproduction case for that, but we're definitely going to need more detail surrounding this autocorrect case because that's very unclear at this point.

I'm totally lost on the topic of "sensitivity" of auto correct here. What specifically in your video is demonstrating that as being incorrect behaviour? What actually is the issue specifically? Ideally we just need a written description of what is wrong specifically.

So, the video was just meant to show the frustration in typing from a mobile device. As you can see in it, I was "messing up" a lot and having trouble correcting the typos, having to go back multiple times in some cases to try to correct typos. Based on my experience using other WYSIWYG editors, I rarely typo enough to even notice the slowdown. I email and write on my phone all the time and wouldn't consider myself somebody who typically has to correct typos or autocorrect. The number of errors in the video I attached is very uncommon to me, which leads me to believe there is an inconsistency with how the Froala WYSIWYG editor works vs others as far as sensitivity goes.

Watch the video attached to the OP and you'll see that I struggled to get through typing that message. Now watch the video attached to this post. You'll see that even though there are typos and fat finger key presses, I didn't have to backspace even one time to get through a similar length message as the one in the OP.

We know about this one and I believe it is fixed in Froala 3.x which will be included in XF 2.2.

Awesome, I wonder if the entire thing is a Froala issue and not just the backspacing?

Attachments

We have some other open bug reports for this now (one of them duplicates part of this one but is more specific) and I think the backspace issue is now resolved.

That just leaves the sensitivity issue. I was never able to see anything here that is concrete or reproducible. I use iOS on the forums a significant amount and while there are/were some (aforementioned) oddities the general typing experience seems fine.

At this point all I can really do is hope that the upgrade to the editor in Froala 2.2 has improved things for you (please feel free to test that here in our Test messages forum).

If it has not, we're really going to need a new bug report thread to be created with a new example and ideally with step-by-step instructions that demonstrates the issue clearly.

For now we'll close this off.

Top Bottom