Not a bug Two variables in phrases that perhaps ought to be the same?

SchmitzIT

I stumbled upon this by accident today, but there are two different variables used in phrases that apparently translate to the same.

{board}
{board_title}

I searched and replaced all instances of {board_title}, and was surprised to find not everything changed. Some further investigation yielded that {board} was also used.

Might be intentional, but it struck me as odd, so I figured I'd file it here :)

Phrase replacements aren't global. They refer to particular variables being passed in on a case by case basis.

While yes, these ideally should be consistent, it basically ends up being an unnecessary BC break. The variable names are really there to help identify the content that will be inserted. (Replacing the variables with a constant variable is not an expected/supported option.)

Phrase replacements aren't global. They refer to particular variables being passed in on a case by case basis.

While yes, these ideally should be consistent, it basically ends up being an unnecessary BC break. The variable names are really there to help identify the content that will be inserted. (Replacing the variables with a constant variable is not an expected/supported option.)

Thanks, Mike. I'm not replacing them, though. Just adding text before them.

Out of curiosity, what's a BC break?

Backwards compatibility break. As in, anyone who customized those phrases would suddenly get {placeholders} showing up instead of the content.

Backwards compatibility break. As in, anyone who customized those phrases would suddenly get {placeholders} showing up instead of the content.

Ah ok. Gotcha.

Found another oddity with the variables, though.

The email reset mail should be defined in the following phrase:

"user_lost_password_body_text"

Here's my replacement near the end:

Thanks,

The {board_title}

(Just added "the").

However, the mail I receive is slightly different:

Thanks.
{board_title} without "the". Also not how thanks in the phrase is followed by a comma, but the mail shows a . (period).

I searched, and found "thanks." as a separate phrase, and the "you may safely ignore it" as well. I just don't get where this is defined, exactly? How come there are apparently more locations for this to be created?

Hmph. I do recall seeing email templates, but could have sworn it was a different system, lol.

Is that not something you could consider patching somehow, Mike? Having to switch on debug mode is a pain. The phrases ought to tackle the contents of the mails, as far as I can see.

Top Bottom