XF 2.2 Twitter (now X) no longer auto embedding

nodle

It looks like Twitter (now X), is having new post come from X.com instead of Twitter.com, this is now breaking auto embeds. Anyone have a fix, or so we have to wait for an Xenforo update?

I haven't seen any embedding urls with x.com until now.

If they come, it will be an easy fix. Just add x.com beside twitter.com to the matching regex for that Media Code.

Where are URLs with x.com used?

That domain is forwarded to twitter.com.
If I am using the official twitter mobile app you select copy link from the bottom right-hand corner, they no longer use twitter.com, they use x.com and they will not auto embed. Desktop still uses twitter.com and will embed properly (I am sure this will get rolled out to the desktop version as well eventually). Here is a link I just pasted from my phone; you can see how it won't auto embed here:

So the app uses x.com for URLs, which is forwarded to twitter.com, while the site still uses twitter.com for everything.

Well done musk.

🤦‍♂️

As above, that URL will need to be added to the media code in a future update.

If I am using the official twitter mobile app you select copy link from the bottom right-hand corner, they no longer use twitter.com, they use x.com and they will not auto embed. Desktop still uses twitter.com and will embed properly (I am sure this will get rolled out to the desktop version as well eventually). Here is a link I just pasted from my phone; you can see how it won't auto embed here:

That link opens up as
https: / /twitter.com/9to5mac/status/1691133816692264966?s=20
on my desktop

As a temporary 'quick fix' would adding the domains to
ACP ... /forums/admin.php?options/groups/censoringOptions/

Word to censor: https://x.com
Replacement: https://twitter.com

...work? Or would it break something else?

Using the word censor didn't work as it removes the embedding.

What exactly needs changing in the media codes? (I can't seem to edit them, do I need to be in dev mode to do that?)

I can't edit the existing media site (as can't enable debug mode, long story!) but I assumed I could work around this by adding a new media site for X.com but it doesn't seem to work either.

What's wrong here? I've tried x.com and twitter.com in the template and neither work.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 21.34.53.png

Works fine for me.

You will need to use twitter.com in the embed code as x.com forwards to that.

For any existing URLs posted, the posts will need to be edited and saved.

It does not do that for me on the official Twitter (x) app. I am on Android, you on iOS? It still does 'share link' as twitter.com on my end.

you on iOS
Yes Sir!

For the time being I have installed:

This has fixed my problem for now. Hopefully Xenforo will fix and patch it.

Yes Sir!

For the time being I have installed:

This has fixed my problem for now. Hopefully Xenforo will fix and patch it.
I use that to. Very nice addon.

Never used iOS in my life so I dunno how to fix.

Top Bottom