Turnkey Mobile Apps for XenForo with Addon/Theme Support, Android & iPhone [Deleted]

I've got V 2.1.1 from the iOS app store, still seem to be having the same issues as above though.

Will give it another go if you make any other changes :)

I noticed the header seems off too, the phone time, signal etc overlaps and blends in with the site content, seems like it might be an app bug.

The placeholder text when using the new post app feature needs a different colour for better contrast too, both issues visible in this screenshot

IMG_6960.webp

How long does it take for updates to go live on the iOS or Play store once an update is available from vbresults?

What are the largest forums using this for both Android and iOS? I am going through and seeing low volume and poor reviews on the forums that I have checked so far.

We have BYO from Tapatalk that are on sites with less than 1 million posts that have 1000+ installs and many reviews. We'd like to see what our alternatives are for our two largest sites if we are going to do dedicated apps for them. Went to the site but browsing through the links haven't seen much for volume.

FYI, this is what your site links too: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Turnkey+Mobile+Apps,+LLC.&hl=en

What are the largest forums using this for both Android and iOS? I am going through and seeing low volume and poor reviews on the forums that I have checked so far.
The largest Xen forum is Otofun (Android, iOS). From the data we have, volume has two major factors, the app experience, and whether or not the admin of the forum put the app id into the add-on (if they didn't, nobody would get prompted to install, so nobody uses it).

There were core problems pertinent to the app experience in 1.x, which is what most of the reviews on the store are for (since 2.x just came out). These problems were almost completely addressed in 2.x/2.1.1, and in 2.2 it will be hard to make a case to start with any other app.

In 2.x you no longer have to paste app id's, this is managed automatically by the add-on, so that problem is gone too.

All that said, in regards to reviews, for Android, looking at the 30 apps that have been reviewed, they have an average rating of just over 4.5 out of 5. Apple does not provide such an easy way to aggregate review numbers, but I'm sure it's much lower.

The apple version did not get a lot of love in 1.x. In 2.x, both Android and iOS use same codebase, so they are developed in tandem. Additionally, the app id issue disproportionately affected apple since the app store team reviews happen long after Android's.

We have BYO from Tapatalk that are on sites with less than 1 million posts that have 1000+ installs and many reviews. We'd like to see what our alternatives are for our two largest sites if we are going to do dedicated apps for them.
I frequently get emails from admins in this type of situation, and my answer on whether or not you should do it is: it depends. If you have an existing app, there are other things to take into account, for example what I call the 'TT catch 22'.

That is, you have a feature-rich app that your members already like and are accustomed to, but for varying personal or business reasons, you want to move off of it. This is complex because the needs of admins and members are often in direct conflict.

After reading the situation and weighing 1.x's features against TT, my recommendation was generally for big boards to stay. With 2.x, the feature set isn't an obstruction, and with 2.2 it's benefits as a hybrid app surpass a seasoned 100%-native app.

You can send that mobile app traffic to your regular ad rotation in XenForo instead of being constricted to a rigid app's implementation, but members like one app for many forums; my recommendation is that you test small before making any big moves.

Last edited:
We currently have no dedicated apps for ChristianForums.com and ReligiousForums.com so we are interested in this. Can you tell me more about what 2.1.3 entails? What kind of advertising can we run and what would we need to implement it? We use a 3rd party ad network that is capable of doing mobile ads so we would want to connect with them and see if we can use them with this app before purchasing as well.

I have to withhold 2.2's details (revised from 2.1.3) until it's release. TMA is a hybrid app (meaning part native, part webview), so any ad network you have integrated via your templates and add-ons will work in the app.

Last edited:
Has the 2.x release now provided functionality to restrict app usage/access to the site based on user group?

Eg. User ABC (Registered User) can access the site/forums via desktop/mobile browser and has full usage, however if they access the site/forums through this app then they are denied access. I only want my premium (paid) members to have access to the site/forums via the app's.

I understand anyone (even non-registered users / guests) will be able to download the app from their respective app store, but I want to guests and non-premium users/members to get a friendly notice when they load the app that they need to be a premium member to access the site through the app.

Has the 2.x release now provided functionality to restrict app usage/access to the site based on user group?

Eg. User ABC (Registered User) can access the site/forums via desktop/mobile browser and has full usage, however if they access the site/forums through this app then they are denied access.

I understand anyone (even non-registered users / guests) will be able to download the app from their respective app store,
It's been this way from day one (even 1.x); the type of problem you are describing (the possibility of bypassing permissions) only occurs with API-based apps (this isn't API-based). After re-reading your post, I think it's more about this part:
I only want my premium (paid) members to have access to the site/forums via the app's -- I want to guests and non-premium users/members to get a friendly notice when they load the app that they need to be a premium member to access the site through the app.
This is where things diverge (locking them out of the app, but not the site, due to usergroup settings); to answer quickly enough, this is only possible with a custom add-on at this time. If enough admins using the apps request this though, it will be implemented.

I can't recall hearing this request from any admins on the apps, so your best bet for this specific portion is a small custom add-on that works based off the user-agent (which the app provides to identify itself as being in the app).

Last edited:
Just took a quick look at 2.1.2 via TAZ with Android (stable Galaxy S7), and it clearly still has a way to go.

The app crashed at least 3 times during the 5 mins, refusing to display or respond. I was on TAZ desktop at the same time, and it wasn't a site issue or a mobile device connectivity issue. Had to forcefully close the app and restart it again before it started behaving.

* Live "What's New" Feed (native; contains Recent Posts, Watched Threads & Alerts)
Used the Recent Posts, and it took me to the last post instead of the first unread post. When I use the device mobile back-button (thinking I'll go back to native What's New) it instead takes me back to the site home, tap again and it exits the app. (Open the app again and it's crashed/non-responsive - can reproduce this each time).

* Compact Quick Posting (native)
Doesn't work if prefixes are required. Should at least support core XF functionality.

* New Buttons: Home, Back, Forward, Reload, Settings
Native back button, too, didn't take me back to native "What's New".

This is where things diverge (locking them out of the app, but not the site, due to usergroup settings); to answer quickly enough, this is only possible with a custom add-on at this time. If enough admins using the apps request this though, it will be implemented.
Key requirement for me. Surprised other site admins not interested in this functionality - maybe no-else using the app has paid member usergroup(s)?

@Mouth Thanks for reporting those, some are currently being fixed, others have not been reported previously and are now on the list.
Key requirement for me. Surprised other site admins not interested in this functionality - maybe no-else using the app has paid member usergroup(s)?
This is false. As you said, it is a key requirement for your use case. The idea of paywalling their mobile apps is not an attractive one to most admins, they want more traffic.

Last edited:
I'm confused, so I applied for the free version of this. And it's just a wrapper for the mobile version of my forum with shortcuts to things like the top posts. It doesn't even keep you logged in and there are no notifications or anything.

So, i'm confused on how this app is different from that besides having having the ads removed.

Top Bottom