Add-on Truly Integrated Gallery

BobHarbison

I know there are a couple of gallery programs out there, and I'm currently exploring them.

What I'm wondering is whether there is any gallery option that is truly integrated into the forum? When I used VB, I also ran Photopost, and it always felt like a bit of a kluge, instead of being an integral part of the forum. Members had cookie problems and it just feels like two loosely connected programs rather than something that's all one smooth unit.

What about the current two gallery add-ons makes you think they are not truly integrated?

They couldn't be more integrated.

Not sure if you have had a look at Xen Media Gallery yet:

http://xenmediagallery.com/

There's not a lot more that could be done to integrate them. Happy to answer specific questions you may have about it, or, like @Brogan has asked, if you have some views on what more could be done to integrate them then I will happily comment on that and let you know if it's on the roadmap :)

I know there are a couple of gallery programs out there, and I'm currently exploring them.

What I'm wondering is whether there is any gallery option that is truly integrated into the forum? When I used VB, I also ran Photopost, and it always felt like a bit of a kluge, instead of being an integral part of the forum. Members had cookie problems and it just feels like two loosely connected programs rather than something that's all one smooth unit.
Were you familiar with PhotoPost vBGallery or just PhotoPost Pro? PP Pro was a stand-alone application that could be hooked, loosely, into forum software like vB. PP Pro with vBulletin felt like two loosely connected programs because they were. It worked but it was a pain at times to get the templates & other bits to play nicely. PhotoPost vBGallery, formerly vBadvanced Gallery, was a true vBulletin add-on that worked directly within vBulletin -- it was not available as a stand-alone application, it was an extension to vB and could not run without it.

Both of the XF gallery options, Xen Media Gallery by Chris D and Xen Gallery by Sonnb, are XF add-ons that are not stand-alone and integrate directly into XF. They are closer to PP vBGallery than PP Pro.

If you want to retain the familiar "gallery" feel of PP, either Pro or vBGallery, with an emphasis on categories take a look at Xen Media Gallery though I don't know what the current status is for PP Pro or PP vBGallery importers. For more a Pinterest-like feel with an emphasis on albums take a look at Xen Gallery.

Were you familiar with PhotoPost vBGallery or just PhotoPost Pro?

Photopost Pro, which I really liked for the way it categorized and organized things, but as you mention, it was kind of like "here's a photo gallery that uses the VB user database, and templates, if you're lucky...

Thanks for the comments, exactly what I needed to know.

Photopost Pro, which I really liked for the way it categorized and organized things, but as you mention, it was kind of like "here's a photo gallery that uses the VB user database, and templates, if you're lucky...

Thanks for the comments, exactly what I needed to know.
In the upcoming Xen Media Gallery 2.1 there is a Photopost Pro importer. It supports importing from Photopost Pro with vBulletin integration or Photopost Pro with XenForo integration.

If you are importing from Photopost Pro with vBulletin integration you need to first import from vBulletin and keep the import log as this is used to map the content to the correct users.

Nothing. I'm not familiar with them at all, which is why I asked the question.
Well you've posted in the add-on request forum, so that would suggest you want a different add-on to those which are already available.

This forum is specifically for requesting new add-ons to be developed, not to discuss existing add-ons.

Well you've posted in the add-on request forum, so that would suggest you want a different add-on to those which are already available.

This forum is specifically for requesting new add-ons to be developed, not to discuss existing add-ons.

The forum description says "If you are looking for an add-on that does something in particular or you are hoping a developer will create a resource with particularly functionality, you may post your request here." I felt I met the first half of the "OR" statement and thought this was a good fit. Keep in mind I've only been here a few days and don't know all the nooks and crannies yet.

If you feel this belongs in a different forum, you're welcome to move it.

In the upcoming Xen Media Gallery 2.1 there is a Photopost Pro importer. It supports importing from Photopost Pro with vBulletin integration or Photopost Pro with XenForo integration.

If you are importing from Photopost Pro with vBulletin integration you need to first import from vBulletin and keep the import log as this is used to map the content to the correct users.

Import WHAT from Vbulletin? The forum or the gallery? I've imported the forum already. Do I need to set up a Photopost Gallery on my Xenforo version of the forum and then do the conversion? Or will it do it with the old gallery database and the import log? "It supports importing from Photopost Pro with vBulletin integration" seems to indicate I just need to convert the forum?

OK, so time for an update... I checked out Xen Media Gallery and thought it would be a good fit for one of my forums. I didn't have a Photopost gallery there, so no import worries.
I purchased Xen Media Gallery, downloaded it, had a bit of trouble figuring something out (If you don't set any permissions, the gallery's invisible, D'oh!) asked for help from Chris and got a reply, finished up, created categories, installed the "new media" header in the forum. (Well, installed is overstating it, I clicked "yes") and uploaded some sample photos. Total time for all of that? Under one hour, and that wasn't working on it continuously.

Keep in mind that I've only had Xenforo installed for a couple days and I'm a total Newbie to it. I was surprised by how easy it was. No creating databases, setting permissions, editing config files, none of the hassle you see in Photopost. And yes, I'd say it's as integrated as it can get. I'm impressed!

Last edited:

You could request an attachment gallery type of addon. I've seen some excellent attachment gallery type of addons on vBulletin that haven't made their way to Xenforo yet. My favorite is the one that shows select forum attachments on the gallery page with the info of where it was posted and who posted it. If it had a show all attachments by this user through permissions function that would be great.

Speaking of true integration you should check out this suggestion for XenMediaGallery:

Force Xengallery Usage
http://xenmediagallery.com/threads/force-xenmediagallery-usage.1094/

That would many video a user posted show up in XMG

That's true integration right there. Also great for Search Engine Optimization.

This is sorta the same idea but would probably require another addon (both are only suggestions anyway):

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/include-media-title-in-link-and-search.66943/

Those are some ideas that may come in handy if your looking for a gallery with 'True Integration'.

You could request an attachment gallery type of addon. I've seen some excellent attachment gallery type of addons on vBulletin that haven't made their way to Xenforo yet. My favorite is the one that shows select forum attachments on the gallery page with the info of where it was posted and who posted it. If it had a show all attachments by this user through permissions function that would be great.

What VB add-on is that? I'm not familiar with it...

Top Bottom