Troll 'Hacking'

We are talking about making manual backups (not the ones which HostGator make on a weekly basis)
I am not sure why you keep referring to their automated weekly backups, you have no control over that. The option in the cpanel is for you to manually request the server to create a backup immediately. You click on the "backup wizard" then choose what you want backed up and then wait for it to complete, when it is complete you will see it appear under the "backup" option in cpanel available for download.

I am not sure why you keep referring to their automated weekly backups, you have no control over that. The option in the cpanel is for you to manually request the server to create a backup immediately. You click on the "backup wizard" then choose what you want backed up and then wait for it to complete, when it is complete you will see it appear under the "backup" option in cpanel available for download.
I'm pretty sure those are the automated backups they do and it isn't requesting a backup to be done.
They do a backup automatically every week and they list it on the backups page and replace the previous backup with it. Or at least that is what I was told

EDIT - Now I did a bit more further research, I am now under the impression that that was wrong... I feel like such a dimwit today haha

BTW, @whynot now I am getting this error when I try to create a backup:

MySQL-ERROR
MySQL says:
SELECT count(*) as `count_records` FROM `nintybuz_nbforums`.`xf_search_index`

Error in Query:
(144) Table './nintybuz_nbforums/xf_search_index' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed

(144) Table './nintybuz_nbforums/xf_search_index' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed

I'm pretty sure those are the automated backups they do and it isn't requesting a backup to be done.
They do a backup automatically every week and they list it on the backups page and replace the previous backup with it. Or at least that is what I was told
I am telling you this information not as a shot in the dark, I use this feature among others to backup my sites daily (i make multiple backups because I am little OCD). You can have the system make a partial backup of home directory or database of full backup of everything including mail accounts and such. Why complicate your life and not at least try what I and others before me have suggested and use the cpanel? But in the end its up to you, good luck.

I am telling you this information not as a shot in the dark, I use this feature among others to backup my sites daily (i make multiple backups because I am little OCD). You can have the system make a partial backup of home directory or database of full backup of everything including mail accounts and such. Why complicate your life and not at least try what I and others before me have suggested and use the cpanel? But in the end its up to you, good luck.
I made an edit to my initial post
"EDIT - Now I did a bit more further research, I am now under the impression that that was wrong... I feel like such a dimwit today haha"

No problem. We all learn things by asking and sometimes things don't click when explained. This is a safe place;).

Hope you get it straightened out and I would recommend daily backups saved in at least two locations but like I said I am a little OCD.

No problem. We all learn things by asking and sometimes things don't click when explained. This is a safe place;).

Hope you get it straightened out and I would recommend daily backups saved in at least two locations but like I said I am a little OCD.
Thanks for all your help, it's sort of good when things go bad anyway, that way I can learn from it
BTW, if anyone knows anyone from the CIA or FBI, please send them my way so I can finally get rid of this troll haha
He has been a nuisance since 2010 but always hides himself too well :P

First thing you want to do is limit staff permissions, make sure only superadmin is you and only give as much power to staff as they need to do their function. Second is force two-factor authentication (TFA) on the staff accounts if not ALL accounts. Consider limiting permissions for newly registered accounts (can make custom usergroups) such as a daily post limit or other restrictions that might frustrate one with bad intentions.

First thing you want to do is limit staff permissions, make sure only superadmin is you and only give as much power to staff as they need to do their function. Second is force two-factor authentication (TFA) on the staff accounts if not ALL accounts. Consider limiting permissions for newly registered accounts (can make custom usergroups) such as a daily post limit or other restrictions that might frustrate one with bad intentions.
That's what we have been doing, and I am the only one who can access the ACP at this time:)

Good stuff! As far as keeping him out...you can't. A determined individual will get in no matter what, you and your staff will just have to be vigilant and ready to "spam clean" his account away when spotted. There are some add-ons that look for duplicate ip and similar tactics to spot these types but it will still come down to your staff watching. And I have seen other sites block users that access via proxies but that isn't really the answer either. I have to use a proxy most of the time to secure my traffic (work computer and network) so blocking proxies could lose you legitimate members. But you seem to be taking the right steps and I wish you success, keep us updated.

Good stuff! As far as keeping him out...you can't. A determined individual will get in no matter what, you and your staff will just have to be vigilant and ready to "spam clean" his account away when spotted. There are some add-ons that look for duplicate ip and similar tactics to spot these types but it will still come down to your staff watching. And I have seen other sites block users that access via proxies but that isn't really the answer either. I have to use a proxy most of the time to secure my traffic (work computer and network) so blocking proxies could lose you legitimate members. But you seem to be taking the right steps and I wish you success, keep us updated.
Yes, I have told my two mods to keep vigilant, and have also got them to have strong passwords and two step
With my going to uni in september, I will probably have to get a new admin on with restricted access. What would you recommend if I do so?

Can't really say for sure, you would have to evaluate what permissions someone would need to keep the site running in your absence. Definitely keep forum backed up frequently incase the worst happens and I would choose an admin from existing staff with most integrity and knowledge. That was always a problem I have seen arise with other sites when the owner/superadmin had to be away and rely on other admins. It can kill a site if you don't choose the right person so perhaps start a new thread asking for suggestions or search on admin sites for their opinions but don't take the decision lightly if you value your site...trust me.

Top Bottom