[TRN] RSS Extended [Deleted]

farang

farang submitted a new resource:

[fgX] RSS Extended - Adds additional configuration paramaters that controls the RSS stream

This add-on extends the core RSS functionality by adding the following options for the global RSS stream as well on forum specific RSS Streams.
  • Choose between displaying snippet previews from the first or the last posts of each thread in the RSS feeds.
  • Choose if the URLs in the RSS stream should lead to the first, last or first unread post in each thread. (First unread is not recommended due to that it's not supported for guest sessions)
Without this...

Read more about this resource...

farang updated [fgX] RSS Extended with a new update entry:

Version 1.2.0 released!

New in version 1.2.0
  • Option to specify what forums to exclude from the Global RSS
  • Option to remove quotes from RSS feed entries (See 1 below)
  • Posts that are soft deleted or posts in the moderation queue are excluded from the RSS (See 2 below)
1) If the post is empty after removing quotes, it will be excluded from the RSS feeds.

2) Normally posts that are removed and posts in the moderation queue can be seen in the RSS feeds in case the viewer has...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks.

With this, is it possible for the RSS feed to display by New Post Start Date?

Currently, the RSS is displaying newest first by last post. I want the order to be by new thread start date.

Thanks

Thanks.

Currently, the RSS is displaying newest first by last post. I want the order to be by new thread start date.

Thanks

That might be a nice feature to add. I will have a look and return here with an answer . :D

farang updated [fgX] RSS Extended with a new update entry:

Version 1.3.0 released!

New feature:

Get RSS item time from the date and time of the first post in thread

By default an RSS item is considered new and placed at the top of the feed based on the time stamp of the last post in the thread. By checking this option, the newest RSS items will be those with the latest thread creation dates (first post in thread). If You check this option, You'd probably also want to set the two options above to "First post".

Read the rest of this update entry...

Thanks.

Thanks

I've implemented that function in Version 1.3.0. Let me know what You think about it.

I may need some help from you native english speakers make the following more understandable. I don't know how to explain it more clear but I'm sure it can be improved. Thanks!

By default an RSS item is considered new and placed at the top of the feed based on the time stamp of the last post in the thread. By checking this option, the newest RSS items will be those with the latest thread creation dates (first post in thread). If You check this option, You'd probably also want to set the two options above to "First post".

Nice Add-on.

Any plans to extend its capability to include latest "posts/replies" vs "threads/topics" ?

Also, Media Gallery: Show latest updated "categories" (1 picture in rss feed from each category) vs last 50 pictures uploaded in 1 category.

Nice Add-on.

Any plans to extend its capability to include latest "posts/replies" vs "threads/topics" ?

Also, Media Gallery: Show latest updated "categories" (1 picture in rss feed from each category) vs last 50 pictures uploaded in 1 category.

Hi @dotpro, thanks for your feedback. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "include latest "posts/replies" vs "threads/topics"

[fgX] RSS Extended can already be set to choose if the generated RSS items should be generated from threads (New in V 1.3.0) or from posts (standard XF behaviour).

I've had some thoughts about how to let RSS Extended grab images to include in the RSS. It's still at the concept stage but it is a very interesting area.

Hi @dotpro, thanks for your feedback. ;)

I'm not sure what you mean by "include latest "posts/replies" vs "threads/topics"

[fgX] RSS Extended can already be set to choose if the generated RSS items should be generated from threads (New in V 1.3.0) or from posts (standard XF behaviour).

I've had some thoughts about how to let RSS Extended grab images to include in the RSS. It's still at the concept stage but it is a very interesting area.

Thanks. In regards to rss generated from threads or posts, I want to be able to show both in different areas of the site. Show latests threads with replies(new replies) and new topics. vB 3.8 rss feed had this option.

Extending the gallery rss feed and be able to show latest updated categories vs just last pics uploaded would be an awesome feature.

Thanks for the addon!

To be sure, I can have it so I share only new threads in news feed?

I can exclude new posts in threads?

Looking at the options, I am not clear on the setting for this...

By default an RSS item is considered new and placed at the top of the feed based on the time stamp of the last post in the thread. By checking this option, the newest RSS items will be those with the latest thread creation dates (first post in thread). If You check this option, You'd probably also want to set the two options above to "First post"

Does this remove all new posts and replies from news feed? I just wanted new threads only.
Thanks

Definitely interesting addon. I use RSS heavily now to publish to social networks. One thing I find is treatment of images varies. Is there anyway to add option to default rss image to poster/avatar vs. the forum default? For example in its simplest form first post author avatar as a global default (optional) if an image is not found embedded in the post.

Definitely interesting addon. I use RSS heavily now to publish to social networks. One thing I find is treatment of images varies. Is there anyway to add option to default rss image to poster/avatar vs. the forum default? For example in its simplest form first post author avatar as a global default (optional) if an image is not found embedded in the post.

That or just a generic image for that particular forum where the thread is so at least the image will be somewhat on topic.

Thanks for the addon!

To be sure, I can have it so I share only new threads in news feed?

I can exclude new posts in threads?

Looking at the options, I am not clear on the setting for this...

Sure You can.

Set "Post position to display in RSS feed items" to "First post"
Set "RSS item URL leads to" to "First post"
Set "Post position to display in RSS feed items" to "First post"
Check "Get RSS item time from the date and time of the first post in thread"

Then, additional posts into a thread will not actualize the RSS Item. That is, the RSS feed will show newest threads. ;)

By default an RSS item is considered new and placed at the top of the feed based on the time stamp of the last post in the thread. By checking this option, the newest RSS items will be those with the latest thread creation dates (first post in thread). If You check this option, You'd probably also want to set the two options above to "First post"

Does this remove all new posts and replies from news feed? I just wanted new threads only.
Thanks

Yes!

Thanks for the ideas @ichpen

Images are important indeed. I will have a look how I can add something like that. ;)

Thanks for the ideas @ichpen

Images are important indeed. I will have a look how I can add something like that. ;)

Thanks in advance.

My wishlist on images:

Global option in ACP:
1. Override image in RSS post/thread with static image of your choice
- Attach static image URL
2. Attach thread starter avatar image when no post/thread image is found
3. Attach last post avatar image when no post image is found
4. Override any post image with thread starter or last poster image
5. Static image override when no post image is found
- Attach static image URL

Or something like this. Would allow for a lot of flexibility.

I'd love to see a per forum default image capability but understand it may add some complexity.

Top Bottom