1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Translating front-end only

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by mannerv, Jul 18, 2012.

1. mannerv

mannerv Member

I would need to translate Xenforo to my native Finnish. I was looking at the admin and it seemed from there that the translation file included abour 5000 sentences out of which quite many were for admin.

Is there a way to find the phrases for front-end only and how many would these be?

Is there a way to do some of the translation automatically? I understood there are some projects where they have translated a lot of basic sentences into different languages to use in open source projects or something to that effect?

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

To translate the language you need to export the XML:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Languages -> Export

When downloading a language you can specify untranslated phrases. Then you can edit the XML file directly to enter translations. When you are done translating you can import the XML file:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Import a Language

All of the phrases are together. There is no option to separate admin from front end phrases.

3. simunaqv

simunaqv Well-Known Member

Some time ago ibnesayeed did some analysis of xenforo sources to filter out front-end related phrases. I used this analysis as the starting of translating xenforo's front end into Urdu. I also wrote an add-on that made it possible to keep the admin section in English whereas a different language is set as forum's default.

Jake Bunce likes this.