Transferring an inactive license from an individual to a corporate entity

Kilt

Some questions about transferring a 2017 inactive XF 1.5 license from an individual to a non-profit entity, of which I have just become a director, which we then want to relocate to a new web host. My understanding is that for such a transfer to be approved, the license must first be activated by an upgrade.

1. If the current individual owner agrees to activate the license by upgrading to XF 2.2 before the legal transfer, can I assume the transfer will be be approved if the "activation" is solely financial—that is, if the 2.2 software is paid for but still sitting in the sky awaiting a download to the new web host?

2. If a non-profit corporation owns a license, does it designate one or two (how many?) people to communicate with Xenforo for service and future upgrades and to have posting permissions on this forum?

3. Can these corporation individuals be identified just by their titles, such as the XYZ Corp. President and the XYZ Corp. Forum Administrator? I ask this because of succession concerns: different volunteer individuals will rotate through these official corporate positions over time.

Last edited:
My understanding is that for such a transfer to be approved, the license must first be activated by an upgrade.
Licenses are eligible to be transferred 90 days after purchase or since it was transferred to you and must be active.

If a non-profit corporation owns a license, does it designate one or two (how many?) people to communicate with Xenforo for service and future upgrades and to have posting permissions on this forum?
Customer accounts only have one log in.
There can be up to four forum accounts associated with it.

Can these corporation individuals be identified just by their titles, such as the XYZ Corp. President and the XYZ Corp. Forum Administrator? I ask this because of succession concerns: different volunteer individuals will rotate through these official corporate positions over time.
For business related accounts, we recommend using a generic email address associated with the domain.
If there are any personnel changes in the future, it avoids the issue of the person who has left having to transfer the license and the name on the account can just be updated.

Licenses are eligible to be transferred 90 days after purchase or since it was transferred to you and must be active.

This license was purchased by an individual (for the corporation) in 2017, so the "90 days after purchase" requirement should have been long satisfied, right?

If so, then the only remaining requirement for transfer is for the license to be "activated". That would mean the current individual owner must first do the activating by paying a fee for an upgrade to 2.2, right?

Once he does that, the license should be eligible for immediate transfer to the corp, right? No 90 day wait.

If all of that is right, I'd like to confirm that the immediate legal transfer can happen even though the 2.2 license upgrade, which has been paid for, has not yet been downloaded to a web host (because the corp may be in the process right then of looking for a new web host). That is, I'd like to confirm that "activation" occurs when the price is paid for the upgrade, not when the upgrade is actually downloaded and in use.

For business related accounts, we recommend using a generic email address associated with the domain.
If there are any personnel changes in the future, it avoids the issue of the person who has left having to transfer the license and the name on the account can just be updated.

Let me poke at this suggestion. I'll start with this Assumption: Whoever is the XF account owner can change his or her associated email address in the XF account.

So, if your generic email address suggestion is used in association with the named person Adam, then Eve can later step into the XF shoes of Adam by updating to her name in association with the generic email address. Okay. But now that Eve is the account owner, she can, per the Assumption, change the associated email address to something else. Right?

I'm not trying to play hypothetical games. It's just that this disorganized corp doesn't have any generic email addresses or may want to change them all after some proposed internal reorganizations.

Thanks for your patience, but legal license lingo is often hard to understand or interpret in differing factual situations.

So, if your generic email address suggestion is used in association with the named person Adam, then Eve can later step into the XF shoes of Adam by updating to her name in association with the generic email address. Okay. But now that Eve is the account owner, she can, per the Assumption, change the associated email address to something else. Right?

Yes, technically you should be able to do this.
While I haven't used XF for work, I have managed domains, SSLs, and web servers, for companies.

We do exactly this. We used a generic company email for the "Tech" department, such as: helpdesk@company.com or webmaster@company.com, so that it's the master owner/admin account, and that's where the 2FA codes would go to for login.

Anyone that works for the company managing it would be given access to that account. The passwords are immediately changed each time someone who had access to it, leaves the company.

This is how most organizations does things for accounts like this that must be shared.

Thank you, Brogan, whynot and Dragonfruit. Since Brogan has not contradicted the other two members' confirmations of my understandings of how a transfer works in the situation I described, I will assume those understandings are correct.

Top Bottom