1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trailing slashes

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by mungo, Jan 3, 2011.

1. mungo

mungo New Member

i've just downloaded the code and am beginning to play with the admin panel...

just wondering why the html5 doctype is being used (cool, i like this) but lots of html elements in the default template have trailing slashes, such as:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css.php?css=xenforo,form,public&amp;style=1&amp;d=1294069603" />

<meta name="description" content="yadda, yadda, here is my description" />

as this is invalid code, unless there is something i don't know!
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I've moved the thread from template modifications to general support.

As I understand it, using a trailing or closing slash in void or empty elements is perfectly acceptable in HTML5.
  3. mungo

mungo New Member

yes, i thought it was acceptable (for historic reasons, eg from xhtml use) but was ideally avoided

i'm happy with the forum, although it's taking a while to get to grips with it!
  4. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

5. mungo

mungo New Member

erm, is that supposed to be a link Shadab - as if so it doesn't seem to work for me!!
  6. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

I didn't post any link. :)
    Or did you mean that attribution link [↑] inside the quotes?
  7. mungo

mungo New Member

ah, ok Shadab, this forum is brand new to me, now i get the attribution link, thanks - i assumed the quoted [...] was a link!

anyway you learn something everyday, i had no idea there was an xhtml version of html 5 - now i do
  8. Shadab

Shadab Well-Known Member

No worries! That's something I usually put in, manually, when quoting only a part of the sentence.