Trademark in Domain

jellytoe

I have read different arguments around the web concerning domain names and trademark infringement. I notice that there are so many unofficial forums with the companies brand name in the domain. Some examples of xenforo forums: priuschat.com, browncafe.com (yes brown is registered to UPS). Hondatech.com is another example. There are hundreds. All of these sites have registered trademark names in their domain. They simply put a disclaimer somewhere saying they aren't offiliated with the trademarked company.

When creating a domain for a forum - do you hesitate to use the brands trademarked name in the title? xbrandsforum.com? It seems the best option for SEO, but could it be a lawsuit in the future?

I'm not sure the big companies would bother chasing the little guys, unless they wanted the domain themselves.

Because the internet is world wide it's hard for companies to get a decision across all continents, I have only heard of one football forum being closed down over a domain clash.

If you are taking a lot of revenue from them it may be different, but some companies would see it as a free source of marketing.

I'm not sure the big companies would bother chasing the little guys, unless they wanted the domain themselves.

Ford sent cease and decist letters to every magazine with ford or mustang in the name and I believe they even chased down a mustang club for their calendar. Nothing became of it though.

Ford sent cease and decist letters to every magazine with ford or mustang in the name and I believe they even chased down a mustang club for their calendar. Nothing became of it though.
I read about this and From what I saw was Fords main concern over selling unauthorized merchandise with the ford logo. One was even a naked woman embracing the logo.

So if you guys were going to start a new forum that relates to a major brand, would you use the brand name for quicker SEO or try to avoid their name for fear of legal issue?

Is anyone here using a registered trademarked brand in their domain?

I read about this and From what I saw was Fords main concern over selling unauthorized merchandise with the ford logo. One was even a naked woman embracing the logo.

So if you guys were going to start a new forum that relates to a major brand, would you use the brand name for quicker SEO or try to avoid their name for fear of legal issue?

Is anyone here using a registered trademarked brand in their domain?

I think it depends on how you use it, if it is for financial gain then you are on sticky turf, or even if it brings the company name into disrepute then again I think you are thin ice.
I don't think it will have much of an effect on your SEO either, Fords main site is surely going to outrank any other containing the word "Ford"

Top Bottom