Total Costs of Running the forum

Jade's

Hi Guys,

I have been running a forum for the last year on Proboards however it is now time for an upgrade as i have built a reasonable membership and would like a better system.

I have found the pricing page of $250 per year for a license. Are there any other fees and charges associated with running your own forum. I have heard a story about someone who was hit with a $12,000 bill from Amazon for opening a forum which had a moderate amount of traffic and was hit with additional charges.

I am keen to upgrade however want to know the full picture before purchasing.

Appreciate any feedback

$250 per year for a license? Do you mean our software? It’s actually $140 for the base software and there are optional extras which may increase the up front cost but all of that cost is a one off and not a yearly fee.

You get a year’s worth of support and upgrades then if you have a requirement for further upgrades you can renew your license or carry on using the same version at no extra cost. Renewing a license is a fraction of the cost of the initial purchase starting at $40.

A typical hosting plan with a decent company can cost as little as $10 a month but can increase depending on your specific requirements for hardware and how much support you require in terms of managing the server for you. I don’t think I’ve heard of hosting costs as high as $1000 a month though for a typical forum with reasonable traffic.

$250 per year for a license? Do you mean our software? It’s actually $140 for the base software and there are optional extras which may increase the up front cost but all of that cost is a one off and not a yearly fee.

You get a year’s worth of support and upgrades then if you have a requirement for further upgrades you can renew your license or carry on using the same version at no extra cost. Renewing a license is a fraction of the cost of the initial purchase starting at $40.

A typical hosting plan with a decent company can cost as little as $10 a month but can increase depending on your specific requirements for hardware and how much support you require in terms of managing the server for you. I don’t think I’ve heard of hosting costs as high as $1000 a month though for a typical forum with reasonable traffic.

Sorry you are right. It was a competitor which was $250 per year. Can you recommend any basic hosting plans to check out?

Top Bottom