Total cost to outsource the creation of a forum?

Ok, now the basic of basic questions. What would the total cost be to have consultant build the xenforo forum? I am working on a proposal to a potential alliance partner

There is no definitive answer - it depends on the nature of the work, who you get to do it, how many hours are involved, the complexity, etc.

Installing the software for a self hosted license is simple and costs nothing more than a few minutes time, once you have purchased the license, domain, and hosting.

For a cloud hosted license it's even easier - just a few clicks and it's up and running in minutes.

To add, the real work and cost tends to be styling (making it look the way you want) and adding functionality through prebuilt or custom add-ons. My site was fairly cheap, but our style is simple and we don't use a lot of add-ons. A large, complex site that required heavy styling work or a lot of add-ons would be a lot more than I spent. To put my corporate middle/project manager hat on for a minute, if this is a corporate project, you probably need to do some scoping and requirements gathering, then get SOWs from a couple Xenforo developers based on those requirements.

Ok, now the basic of basic questions. What would the total cost be to have consultant build the xenforo forum? I am working on a proposal to a potential alliance partner.
This is a non relatd example of my question and what I mean by “build”. So the cost of the liscense ,etc is easy to get. What about the cost of putting the actual form look together?
90D7BB09-8F39-45AB-993E-95D096D2800F.webp

Ok, now the basic of basic questions. What would the total cost be to have consultant build the xenforo forum? I am working on a proposal to a potential alliance partner.
This is a non relatd example of my question and what I mean by “build”. So the cost of the liscense ,etc is easy to get. What about the cost of putting the actual form look together?
View attachment 267376
I must admit... https://www.trapshooters.com/ looks pretty impressive.

looks like the generic Vertical Scope-owned site template like all their sites use....

i recommend getting a skin from a vendor like pixelexit and customize a logo on a site like Fiver or 99designs. you're in for a hundred bucks + xf costs.

A proposal could be all over the place in costs depending on what needs to be done. I would highly suggest the XenForo Cloud to your alliance partner as part of the proposal. This will take care of (most) all of the tech and then you can add the styling costs via estimates you receive for the logo/styling, which can be totally custom or you can browse the Resources section here for a style you could match a logo to. The third part of the proposal would be admin and moderator staffing costs if needed, but keep in mind, XF will take care of the server side of things so the admins are free to be true administrators, not server techs.

Last edited:
My forum would be roughly $200,000 with all the time I spent on add-ons but you probably don’t need as much custom stuff as I do.
If all you need is a pre-made theme and some configuration. I guess you can get far with 5-10 hours of work by a junior web person.

Top Bottom