XF 1.5 Total amount of messages miraculously going down

cayne

I've transitioned from vb to Xenforo 1-2 months ago. We moved around 10 million posts. So far so good. Than one mod accidentally "deleted" on (old, inactive) sub-forum and the amount of total messages went down to around 9 million.

A few weeks later the amount dropped again to 8,5 million (this time we're not sure why). And now yesterday or so, the amount dropped again to 8,29 million.

I was told there is no way to track the overall messages in the admin panel. But the amount of missing posts is quite big and I'm afraid it might drop down further.

It sounds weird, but no mod or admin is deleting those messages, does anybody have an idea what might have caused this drop in posts and how and where I could check for the problem?

The total count is a reflection of a summation of the count from the forums, which is in turn based on counts from the threads. You can rebuild the thread caches and then the forum caches to ensure those are accurate. (The board stats will then update shortly after those complete.)

But if they're going down, that would pretty much definitively indicate things are being deleted. There isn't an interface to it, but you could look at the xf_deletion_log table to see if anything jumps out specifically. (You'll need to sort that by the deletion date.) Otherwise, if it's a moderator, the deletions should be logged in the moderator log in the control panel. The only other source would be batch thread updates via the control panel.

The total count is a reflection of a summation of the count from the forums, which is in turn based on counts from the threads. You can rebuild the thread caches and then the forum caches to ensure those are accurate. (The board stats will then update shortly after those complete.)

But if they're going down, that would pretty much definitively indicate things are being deleted. There isn't an interface to it, but you could look at the xf_deletion_log table to see if anything jumps out specifically. (You'll need to sort that by the deletion date.) Otherwise, if it's a moderator, the deletions should be logged in the moderator log in the control panel. The only other source would be batch thread updates via the control panel.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'll take a look at the xf_deletion_log.
The "batch thread update" is that something like a "mass-removal" of threads, there was an option in vbulletin that could automatically delete threads that were older than xx days or so...is that something similar?

It's a system in the control panel that lets you take actions (including deletion) on any threads matching criteria. It is only triggered manually.

Top Bottom