Torn between IPB and XenForo

sophie1204

I'm a current, disillusioned user of vbulletin 3.8.2 looking to switch over to something else. I've been looking at IPB and hearing very good things about the new version. Can you tell me how XenForo stacks up? My forum has about 3,000 members and 172,000 posts, and I HAVE to be able to put ads in the header, in the side bar, and after the first post of each thread. Any thoughts?

Have you tried the online demo?

Admin Demo

There are lots of ad templates available, search for ad_ in the templates menu in the ACP.

Inserting an ad after the first post of each thread is done using a simple conditional:

How can I show content after the first post in a thread?
<xen:if is="{$post.position} == 0">
This content will show after the first post
</xen:if>

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-181112

I'm a current, disillusioned user of vbulletin 3.8.2 looking to switch over to something else. I've been looking at IPB and hearing very good things about the new version. Can you tell me how XenForo stacks up? My forum has about 3,000 members and 172,000 posts, and I HAVE to be able to put ads in the header, in the side bar, and after the first post of each thread. Any thoughts?

A lot of people are in the same boat, myself included. My advice is rather than compare a tick list of features, is to spend time using both site's forums, and see which you feel gives you the best user experience. For me, this is XenForo, it seems slicker, quicker, and more engaging. I would also look through the showcase/critiques forum here to see the various XenForo forums are looking - many of these have adverts and banners in all manner of places, including after the first post.

Also notice how support is provided. At IPB's support forum you can't even read many of the support areas if your license is expired.

xF is new and the developers are adding the features that will benefit the most users first. I have no doubt that in time xF will have all the features available that we need to run a forum the way we want.

In the meantime, the support here is excellent and that is very important to me.

Ultimately, I look at it like this. IPB is the girl who can do it all, she can hike, has a great job, can cook and is good all around. Really, she's the complete package. XenForo is the sexy girl at the bar whom is crazy good in bed. Your choice.

Ultimately, I look at it like this. IPB is the girl who can do it all, she can hike, has a great job, can cook and is good all around. Really, she's the complete package. XenForo is the sexy girl at the bar whom is crazy good in bed. Your choice.
Exactly.
Xenforo doesn't have a gallery, ignore features, and other things here and there.
There are some things coming in xenforo 1.1 like ignore.

I've got both XenForo and IPB.

Shhh, please don't tell either of them. I don't want to get into trouble.

Now THAT'S interesting. Why do you have both? And how would you compare working with each?
My forum runs on IPB (migrated from SMF in 2009). I bought XenForo because I like the fresh, uncluttered look and want to use it for a future project. I actually bought two XF licenses to support the company in their defense against the lawsuit.

Although I've got XenForo running locally, I don't have enough 'real world' experience with XF to make a proper comparison. However, if XenForo had been around in 2009, I'd probably be running XF instead of IPB. I really like the simplicity and clean look of XenForo.

The one feature in IPB that I would like to see in XenForo is their spam solution. If a user has been marked as spammer on a few IPB forums, the user will automatically be banned on all IPB forums that have the spam feature enabled. It works great and I haven't had a spam post for a long time (knock on wood).

hey sophie1204 ... Do you have a gallery ? what other vBulletin addons do you have that are a must ? Do you have blogs ? articles ? or just a forum ?

It's just a forum. I don't have a gallery, articles, or blogs. As for addons, I have "Advanced Permissions based on Post Count," "BB Code - Spoiler," "Image Resizer," "Moderate User Registrations," "Separate Sticky & Non-sticky Threads," and "ZH Meta Tags." For me, the most important thing is advertising. I have to be able to put in ads. I have them at the top and bottom of each page, the top of each thread, after the first post in a thread, and a few on the sidebar of the home page.

I'd like to be able to add some links in the navbar, too.

Do I seem like a good candidate for XenForo?

BTW, I've some people say XF is better for smaller boards. What sizes are we talking about?

And what's this about a lawsuit?

For me, the most important thing is advertising. I have to be able to put in ads. I have them at the top and bottom of each page, the top of each thread, after the first post in a thread, and a few on the sidebar of the home page.
That should be easy.

I'd like to be able to add some links in the navbar, too.
Easy.

Do I seem like a good candidate for XenForo?
As for addons, I have
"BB Code - Spoiler," "Image Resizer," "Moderate User Registrations," and "Separate Sticky & Non-sticky Threads,"
easy.

"Advanced Permissions based on Post Count,"
hopefully coming in 1.1

"ZH Meta Tags."
I dont see something like this for xenforo, but I wouldn't say this should be a deal breaker.

BTW, I've some people say XF is better for smaller boards. What sizes are we talking about?
Well, for super large boards a new search engine is coming. But for your size, it should be no problem.
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/big-bigger-biggest-xf-forums.15638/
In fact, xenforo overall performance is better than vBulletin so it is likely easier on the server.

And what's this about a lawsuit?
American method of Business.
Frivolous lawsuits.

I think you'd be safe to go with Xenforo. Nothing too tricky.
Good luck.

Thanks for the input.

All that said, I'm not a programmer, so any changes I make, like putting in ads or changing the nav codes, have to be super easy. I actually break out into a sweat when I have to modify codes. Are changes like this simple to make?

One more question: Can there be private forums that are accessible to users with a certain number of posts?

Top Bottom