1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top Left Menu Logo Like Facebook, Twitter, Digg, Reddit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by DRE, Aug 7, 2013.

1. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

As you can see from my site, I went with the facebook, digg, reddit, twitter, approach. I haven't seen any other Xenforo forums that have taken the same approach yet. Are there any out there that's doing this too and what do you think of the logo being in this position?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
    Jeffin and 0xym0r0n like this.
  2. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

I like it :)

3. x_Stricken_x

x_Stricken_x Active Member

I don't mind it, though I don't prefer it. Your login/sign up link isn't visible though (iPhone 5, iOS 6, Google Chrome)

4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Don't need it.

5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Well-Known Member

I don't care for it at all, might as well just remove the logo if you're going to make it that small in my opinion. ;)

x_Stricken_x likes this.
  6. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

I quite like the idea, although I've done it on my (not yet live) site for months now:

[​IMG]

I personally did it to save space - the top navigation is much smaller for having the text-based logo as a home tab instead.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
    mistypants and DRE like this.
  7. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Thanks. I started doing this in March cause I wanted to save space lol @ us coming to the same space-saving conclusion. Huge headers feel like a waste of space when I'm viewing the site from my phone.

Teapot likes this.
  8. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

How did you make your subnavigation menu shorter?

9. OSS 117

OSS 117 Well-Known Member

CSS or splash cold pool water on your computer*.

*DON'T do the latter.

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  10. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

It's a bit of a faff as there's a few things you need to change. Basically:

Reduce the line height on .navTabs .navTab.selected .tabLinks a first - keep track of the number you reduced it by. After that, reduce the line height in .navTabs .navTab.selected .tabLinks by the same number, and do the same thing for #navigation .pageContent's height. Lastly, reduce #headerMover #headerProxy's height by the same number to pull the rest of the page up.

I can't remember whether all of these are part of style properties or templates, probably a mixture of both. Your homework is to find them. :D

11. OSS 117

FWIW, if you use the inspector tool in Firefox, you'll find the div names and whatnot faster.

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  12. x_Stricken_x

The same can be done in Chrome by hitting F12, or FN+F12

13. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I'm trying to duplicate this with the portal home tab of Xenporta and I can't get it to work. This is driving me nuts!

14. Teapot

Teapot Well-Known Member

Mine's just a modification of the XenPorta tab - my CSS just looks like this:

Code:
    .navTabs .publicTabs .portal .navLink {

font-family: "MyFont",Helvetica,Arial,serif;
    font-size: 24px !important;
    font-weight: 200 !important;
    padding: 0px 12px;

}
    What's not working in yours? :)

15. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I fixed this about two hours ago by editing ewrporta.css.

Teapot likes this.
  16. OSS 117

Yes, but the Chrome version is quite poor in usability. The only element highlighting Chrome will ever do when hovering over the source in the inspector panel is the body container.

17. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

I changed my mind. Changing it back to the way it was.

18. OSS 117

The issue is in subreddits it's difficult to distinguish what takes you back to the root of the site and what takes you to the root of the subreddit. YouTube's execution is flawless.

19. x_Stricken_x

I was just saying it is possible if someone wanted to do it. :p