Fixed Tooltip appears even though I am not targeting the title

sbj

Affected version
2.0x
Hello,

I am not sure if it is only me or if this was reported before or if this is intentional.

I noticed this bug since the developer previews I think, and thought it will go away sooner or later. But it didn't so I thought reporting it (finally) would be the best option.

To trigger this behavour, just visit a thread_list (for example new posts), visit a thread, then go back (mouse button 4 for me). And even though I am not targetting the thread title, the tooltip appears out of nowhere. Sometimes it doesn't happen though, I think it has sth to do with the viewed thread being loaded completely or not.

Using Firefox 59.0.2 64 Bit with Win 8.1.

Here we go:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The root cause for this is, unfortunately, an expected Firefox behaviour.

Firefox seems to be fairly over-zealous in multiple functionalities in terms of caching the state of a page. One thing it does is cache which element was last focused and hovered before you navigated. Firefox is the only browser to do this.

By design, our tooltip system (including member cards) triggers on hover and focus. So when you tell Firefox to go back to the page you were on before, until you move your mouse the link you clicked previously is both focused and hovered on, even if you have since moved your mouse.

I'm going to report this on BugZilla with an example but my hunch is they'll throw it out or ignore it forever. But, ultimately, nothing we can do here to resolve this, as far as I know.

Saying that, I think we've now identified a more consistent workaround. It's been rolled out here if you want to check.

Thank you both. I checked it and so far it doesn't happen at all. I'll report it if I should encounter it again, as I daily use the site like that.

Top Bottom