1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Too many connections error?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by MichaelCS, Oct 5, 2014.

1. MichaelCS

MichaelCS Member

I'm getting weird errors with my new version of XenForo once I cut over from my SMF site.

Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli_Exception: Too many connections - library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Mysqli.php:333
    Generated By: Unknown Account, 32 minutes ago
    Stack Trace
    #0 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(315): Zend_Db_Adapter_Mysqli->_connect()
    #1 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Application.php(719): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->getConnection()
    #2 [internal function]: XenForo_Application->loadDb(Object(Zend_Config))
    #3 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Application.php(960): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #4 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Application.php(991): XenForo_Application->lazyLoad('db', NULL)
    #5 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Application.php(1561): XenForo_Application::get('db')
    #6 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Model.php(161): XenForo_Application::getDb()
    #7 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(138): XenForo_Model->_getDb()
    #8 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Model/DataRegistry.php(97): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->_getMultiFromDb(Array)
    #9 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/Dependencies/Abstract.php(147): XenForo_Model_DataRegistry->getMulti(Array)
    #10 /home/site/www/www/forums/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(127): XenForo_Dependencies_Abstract->preLoadData()
    #11 /home/site/www/www/forums/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #12 {main}
    Request State
    array(3) {
      ["url"] => string(48) "http://sitename.com/forums/index.php?liveupdate"
      ["_GET"] => array(1) {
      ["liveupdate"] => string(0) ""
      ["_POST"] => array(4) {
      ["_xfRequestUri"] => string(78) "/forums/index.php?threads/rvn-3l-apollo-2x-erllas-1x-lrm-5-tag-ecm-xl225.6470/"
      ["_xfNoRedirect"] => string(1) "1"
      ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
      ["_xfResponseType"] => string(4) "json"
    Anyone have any thoughts on that?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's a server limitation.
    Contact your host and they should be able to resolve it.
  3. isma

isma Member

I am having the same problem wiht XF1.2.

On my server (managed and dedicated), max clients is set to 150, and php memory limit is 32mb.

I am not an expert on managing servers so I wonder if this figures are 'up to date'. I am using this server during the last five years.

Thank you.
  4. Brogan

Increase the limit until the errors stop.

It varies from site to site and is dependent on traffic.
  5. isma

isma Member

My host company says that in order to make the server more stable we should LOWER max clients setting.

I don't understand anything.
  6. Brogan

You may want to consider a new host if the limits they impose are not sufficient for the level of traffic your site receives.
  7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I'm not sure if you're talking about the same thing. "MaxClients" is an Apache setting; max_connections is a MySQL setting. Reducing MaxClients may well sort this by simply preventing new connections from being started when your server is busy, but it may also block requests from being served.
    Walter likes this.
  8. isma

isma Member

Yes but that is a bit horrible when your board has 1.2 million posts and several hundred thousand attachments :(