TMDb Movie Thread Starter for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Does this work with TV shows as well?

also it says that images are not stored locally. Is this a legal matter or just a function of the addon?

Does this work with TV shows as well?

also it says that images are not stored locally. Is this a legal matter or just a function of the addon?
http://www.themoviedb.org/ doesn't do tv shows - it was one of the reasons I was disappointed it didn't use IMDb instead . . . but it's still worth it just for the movies :)

@Code Monkey I have it running on Discussion Junkies if you want to see it in action (in our Movies forum).

Viewing it on your site @Azhria Lilu is what sold me on it. What I will have to do until there is an old thread update feature is make the old one TV shows only and create a new movie forum I guess.

Also I noticed they support Genre's in the API. Does this app allow the limiting of specific genre's to specific forums. For example on my gaming site we have a scifi movie and tv forum. I really only allow scifi, fantasy and maybe action movies in there since they relate to gaming more than say, love stories and such. So it would be nice if you could select genre's.

Working so far for me. I notice you are not using the default XenForo star ratings which kind of breaks the integration with the site. Especially since I use custom ratings images on my site. Any plans to better integrate this feature?

This doesn't seem to work with the Widget Framework. Even though it uses the forum_view template when viewing the thread list, the sidebar doesn't show.

I see this only works with one forum. So a site that was all about movies wouldn't be able to use it on multiple forums for genres and such. This could be accomplished if it was made as a node type instead of node modifier. That way people can just choose the movie node type and change the settings for that node.

I have been playing with this over the weekend and I have a list of ideas/suggestions. Nothing critical but things I think will make this a must have addon. These may already be on the todo but I didn't see a road-map anywhere so I'm just putting them out there.

1. It's already been stated that it needs to fetch the data on edit in order update when new info is available and to update old threads.

2. There should be a manual form submission choice. What I mean by this, is if someone wants to enter something other than a movie, such as a book or a TV show or even music, then that should be a selection choice. For instance, if I chose TV show then I am offered a form for adding a poster image and various info and it will post it like the movie format and use the poster as the icon. Same for a book or music. Then if a API source is found someday it can easily be updated.

3. Better distinguish the thread starters message. As it is now you don't really notice it unless it's a lot of text. It hides under the video. Maybe wrap it in some markup so we can customize it with CSS. Either that or automatically make the thread starters message, if any, the second post after the media entry.

4. Change it so it's a new node choice not a node modifier. That way more than one node can be added and each node can have a different configuration. This would make it way more useful to a full blown entertainment site. Or any site that wants to have multiple forums using this addon.

5. Clean up the markup. There are a lot of <br /> tags when a list would be more appropriate.

6. I haven't looked at the API but their pages have more info. Actor images, similar movies and such. Try to get it all in there but link the similar movies to other movies listed on the site using the addon.

7. I was going to say have a suggestion drop down when typing the movie name but I see their API has a call limit so that won't work.

8. Use the default XF star rating system so as not to break continuity with the rest of the site.

That's all I got for now. I really like this addon as it is but I think the above would take it over the top.

Viewing it on your site @Azhria Lilu is what sold me on it. What I will have to do until there is an old thread update feature is make the old one TV shows only and create a new movie forum I guess.

Also I noticed they support Genre's in the API. Does this app allow the limiting of specific genre's to specific forums. For example on my gaming site we have a scifi movie and tv forum. I really only allow scifi, fantasy and maybe action movies in there since they relate to gaming more than say, love stories and such. So it would be nice if you could select genre's.
Wow! How did I miss all of these posts? Hmm, no notification of them either.

There is no limiting to genres for specific forums. However I will put that on the wish list for the add-on.

Working so far for me. I notice you are not using the default XenForo star ratings which kind of breaks the integration with the site. Especially since I use custom ratings images on my site. Any plans to better integrate this feature?
The entire system is a near stand-alone system. This is so in the event of major changes to XF, the system should, in most cases, still work. That prevents using the XF star rating system, which technically while it exists in the core, it isn't a part of XF itself since, so far as I know it's only used in the resource manager unless you have another add-on/mod. I could be wrong about that.

This doesn't seem to work with the Widget Framework. Even though it uses the forum_view template when viewing the thread list, the sidebar doesn't show.
Again, the system is a near stand-alone system. It doesn't use the forum_view template. It uses a clone of it with some modifications.

Widget framework is an add-on to XF and I do not code around other add-ons. That has proven to be disastrous in more cases than I care to count. One major change to that add-on and all add-ons that rely on it need to be changed. If Widget Framework disappears and XF changes something where Widget Framework doesn't work anymore, then all add-ons that rely on it will stop working.

I have been playing with this over the weekend and I have a list of ideas/suggestions. Nothing critical but things I think will make this a must have addon. These may already be on the todo but I didn't see a road-map anywhere so I'm just putting them out there.

1. It's already been stated that it needs to fetch the data on edit in order update when new info is available and to update old threads.

2. There should be a manual form submission choice. What I mean by this, is if someone wants to enter something other than a movie, such as a book or a TV show or even music, then that should be a selection choice. For instance, if I chose TV show then I am offered a form for adding a poster image and various info and it will post it like the movie format and use the poster as the icon. Same for a book or music. Then if a API source is found someday it can easily be updated.

3. Better distinguish the thread starters message. As it is now you don't really notice it unless it's a lot of text. It hides under the video. Maybe wrap it in some markup so we can customize it with CSS. Either that or automatically make the thread starters message, if any, the second post after the media entry.

4. Change it so it's a new node choice not a node modifier. That way more than one node can be added and each node can have a different configuration. This would make it way more useful to a full blown entertainment site. Or any site that wants to have multiple forums using this addon.

5. Clean up the markup. There are a lot of <br /> tags when a list would be more appropriate.

6. I haven't looked at the API but their pages have more info. Actor images, similar movies and such. Try to get it all in there but link the similar movies to other movies listed on the site using the addon.

7. I was going to say have a suggestion drop down when typing the movie name but I see their API has a call limit so that won't work.

8. Use the default XF star rating system so as not to break continuity with the rest of the site.

That's all I got for now. I really like this addon as it is but I think the above would take it over the top.
All of your suggestions are well taken and I will put them on the wish list.

Again, the system is a near stand-alone system. It doesn't use the forum_view template. It uses a clone of it with some modifications.

Widget framework is an add-on to XF and I do not code around other add-ons. That has proven to be disastrous in more cases than I care to count. One major change to that add-on and all add-ons that rely on it need to be changed. If Widget Framework disappears and XF changes something where Widget Framework doesn't work anymore, then all add-ons that rely on it will stop working.

What is the name of the template? Perhaps I can get it to work with that. When I viewed source I thought I saw forum_view but I could be wrong.

The entire system is a near stand-alone system. This is so in the event of major changes to XF, the system should, in most cases, still work. That prevents using the XF star rating system, which technically while it exists in the core, it isn't a part of XF itself since, so far as I know it's only used in the resource manager unless you have another add-on/mod. I could be wrong about that.

Then the next choice is make it easier to change the stars. Yes they don't currently use it but they provide the means and other mods use it. The sprite is there with the stars available. There is nothing preventing you from using the same sprite image to keep a visual continuity. Or you can just add options to change the images in the admin page.

Or Not. Your mod your call. I just don't want to have to hack the code every time there's an update. :D

I hope I am not irritating you. :D

Is there a reason the node icon is hosted externally? As it is if they ever shut down our movie forum is screwed. It would be much more desirable to have the image in the thread be an attachment and then use the first attachment as the node icon.

I hope I am not irritating you. :D

Is there a reason the node icon is hosted externally? As it is if they ever shut down our movie forum is screwed. It would be much more desirable to have the image in the thread be an attachment and then use the first attachment as the node icon.
Um.. actually.. nevermind. :D

Yes, the reason is to keep server load to a minimum. A cloud hosted image relieves server load.

And the same could be said of the movie preview. If youtube ever shuts down, you're screwed. So why not have that on your server too?

TMDb is probably one of the most popular movie sites around. Many scrapers use it. So I doubt it's going to shut down.

I suppose I could make the image an option, but I don't see the sense in it.

I have a cdn service to serve images as many do around here. YouTube is not going to shut down. And I have a ton of old forum threads on my ten year old site that have dead images. That's why I use the MetaMirror addon to turn all linked images into attachments.

I suppose I could make the image an option, but I don't see the sense in it.

Choice is always good and allows people in different situations to do according to their means. And choice makes for good sales. ;)

Just keep in mind that there are two images for each thread. One for the forum list and the other that is in the post itself.

They are two different sizes. To use one large image (the one in the post itself) and resize it for the node icon would also consume server resources. Probably the best possible option would be to store the two images as separate files. The node icon in the data folder and the post image as an attachment.

These items don't seem like much on a site that normally has less than 100 users online at any one time. But, on a site that has an average of over 2000 users online at any given moment and over 2000 page visits per hour, the additional load starts to become obvious.

Top Bottom