Anonymous Posting

Anonymous Posting [Paid] 2.1.3

No permission to buy ($30.00)
No you didn't get my meaning. I'll explain it later.

I just tried to install it in my new XF2.2 server and found some errors after posting in an anonymous forum. It's not XF2.2 ready yet?

Less:
TypeError: Argument 1 passed to Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\Repository\ContentData::addUsersIntoPosts() must be an instance of XF\Mvc\Entity\ArrayCollection, array given, called in /home/nginx/domains/mydomain.com/public/src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php on line 23 in src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/Repository/ContentData.php at line 170
Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\Repository\ContentData->addUsersIntoPosts() in src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php at line 23
Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread->actionIndex() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 257
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 113
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 55
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2298
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 464
XF::runApp() in index.php at line 20

No you didn't get my meaning. I'll explain it later.

I just tried to install it in my new XF2.2 server and found some errors after posting in an anonymous forum. It's not XF2.2 ready yet?

Less:
TypeError: Argument 1 passed to Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\Repository\ContentData::addUsersIntoPosts() must be an instance of XF\Mvc\Entity\ArrayCollection, array given, called in /home/nginx/domains/mydomain.com/public/src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php on line 23 in src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/Repository/ContentData.php at line 170
Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\Repository\ContentData->addUsersIntoPosts() in src/addons/Truonglv/AnonymousPosting/XF/Pub/Controller/Thread.php at line 23
Truonglv\AnonymousPosting\XF\Pub\Controller\Thread->actionIndex() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 350
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchClass() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 257
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchFromMatch() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 113
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->dispatchLoop() in src/XF/Mvc/Dispatcher.php at line 55
XF\Mvc\Dispatcher->run() in src/XF/App.php at line 2298
XF\App->run() in src/XF.php at line 464
XF::runApp() in index.php at line 20
Look like it's not compatible with XF 2.2.x

The add-on has permissions allow specific user groups can see the real posters. With others does not have permission cannot see it.
Hope the following gives you an idea what I've been talking about. I captured it from somewhere else.

1599357484147.png
When you post a new thread or a reply, you can choose to post it anonymously. At the same time you can choose to enter a nickname (or alias) for this message. So people will have some idea who (fake nickname) this message is posted by. If they don't enter the fake nickname part, the system will just show an anonymous ID like what you do with your add-on.

Currently, your add-on only shows posters as Anonymous (bcdfd5) which is very difficult to know who's who IN THE SAME THREAD.

It's not we want users to see the real identity of posters. We just want to let them distinguish the posters easier.

This anonymous feature is useful in forums with topics like family and political issues where people won't want to disclose their forum usernames.

Last edited:
Isn't that the point? :unsure:
Not in this use case.

In this case, you don't see just "Anonymous" for user, but some ID to differentiate different users, still anonymous, but different from other anonymous users.

So, for our social brains it would be easier if someone can either choose or get some "fake but more socially acceptable" ID instead some computer spewed one, e.g. "Anonymous Joe" or something along these lines. We should still know that it's anonymous user, but could more easily discern him from other anonymous users. Our social oriented brains would enjoy that much more.

I believe that add-on has permission allow you see the real users posting message.
Well yes, but this is option for those who shouldn't know actual poster, but they still be able to make distinctions who actually posted.

You can handle this in more than one way. By creating list of user names that would be used for addition, by allowing users to give themselves "temporary user name", but still marked clearly as anonymous so everyone would know it is not his actual name, etc.

Oh, just to comment one more thing, I see you give really great support for this add-on. Thanks.

Well yes, but this is option for those who shouldn't know actual poster, but they still be able to make distinctions who actually posted.

You can handle this in more than one way. By creating list of user names that would be used for addition, by allowing users to give themselves "temporary user name", but still marked clearly as anonymous so everyone would know it is not his actual name, etc.

Oh, just to comment one more thing, I see you give really great support for this add-on. Thanks.
This add-on also give option to assign the post to another user. You may looking into it.

This add-on also give option to assign the post to another user. You may looking into it.

You mean this option? This will make all anonymous posts appear to be posted by a specific user ("First user" in this case). That's even more terrible.. it just makes an anonymous thread serves as a public anonymous notice board.. there's no way for any interactions between people.

1599441034645.webp

I guess that your English prevents you from understanding what @gogo and I try to say.

I know what current options are and this one we mention is something you don't have coded at the moment.

It would be extension of creating different anonymous ID per thread, which would use more human friendly IDs instead computer generated (very unfriendly) ones.

You could allow people to use anonymous nick (i.e. ID for that thread), which still would be clearly marked as anonymous user, but would look something like Anonymous Joe (or Peter, Paul, whatever name more people friendly) instead like now you have pretty human unfriendly computer generated random ID.

If it is too hard to achieve it per thread level, it may be good enough that each user has some kind of second user name for use with your add-on, it depends what @gogo would prefer. For me, I would be happy that users can have "anonymous user name" and that it is used everywhere where they write anonymously. And that you keep this thread level computer generated anonymous ID for those that like that option.

If you accept my suggestion (and is accepted by others), users would have option to use any nickname they want when they write anonymously and it would have Anonymous as an prefix in front, to clearly mark that posts as anonymous. Also, you would need to check that each nickname is unique in that case, just like users need to have unique user name.

Probably a lot of work, but well, it is easy for me to suggest, not that I claim it is easy to code something like this. But, to be sure, having more human friendly anonymous IDs would be great.

It needs some template modifications in order to work on XF2.2. I did it.

But the result is disappointing.

The following shows 2 messages posted by the same user. The usernames are auto-generated by the add-on...

1600478170165.webp

What's the point of having random usernames like that? You don't really understand what we were talking about and what we needed..

Last edited:
I hope the following pictures illustrates the problem better.

View attachment 235381

View attachment 235379

That is too complicated IMO and introduces too much potential for confusion and abuse. The system should assign the pseudonym and track it, keeping it assigned to that user for the entirety of the thread. Otherwise troublemaking users can deliberately "pose" as another anonymous poster in the thread if they want to be intentionally confusing or malicious.

(This may be partially implemented already with the "Anonymous ID" feature - I'm not sure, as we do not use that option on our board. We have a single anonymous account that "owns" all anonymous posts.)

Reactions: Lee
That is too complicated IMO and introduces too much potential for confusion and abuse. The system should assign the pseudonym and track it, keeping it assigned to that user for the entirety of the thread. Otherwise troublemaking users can deliberately "pose" as another anonymous poster in the thread if they want to be intentionally confusing or malicious.

"if they want to be intentionally confusing or malicious."

They are allowed to do so.

Anonymous posting is limited to a small number of nodes with special purpose only. So that's not really a problem.

(This may be partially implemented already with the "Anonymous ID" feature - I'm not sure, as we do not use that option on our board. We have a single anonymous account that "owns" all anonymous posts.)
This. If the addon worked this way, I would purchase it right now.

Top Bottom