Duplicate Title Update

a legacy reborn

Not sure if this was already mentioned, sorry if it was :).

XenForo should update the title when the auto-update alerts finds a new alert, similar to how twitter does it (#ofalerts). Thanks for listening ;).

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I believe he means the browser title. Like "(2) - XenForo Community" for 2 alerts or something.

I'd argue that that's mostly useful for when you're on a different browser tab. With XenForo it will not find new alerts unless you're interacting with the site anyways, in which case you'd be on the tab for the site.

Oh--I presume he means the page title on the browser tab, so if I'm reading this and get an alert, it'd say something like "(1) Title Update | XenForo Community."
Edit: :/ ninja'd

Update which title?

I believe he means the browser title. Like "(2) - XenForo Community" for 2 alerts or something.
Yes
I'd argue that that's mostly useful for when you're on a different browser tab. With XenForo it will not find new alerts unless you're interacting with the site anyways, in which case you'd be on the tab for the site.
I never noticed this...when I switch back to the xF tab it is already loaded with all my alerts, so why not display it on the title tag so that I can know to come back to the site?

I never noticed this...when I switch back to the xF tab it is already loaded with all my alerts, so why not display it on the title tag so that I can know to come back to the site?
XenForo only fetches new alerts with ajax when you send/receive another ajax request, last I was aware. When this happens, a little notification comes up on-screen saying you have new alerts. If you don't interact with the site at all, you don't receive new alerts until you refresh the page.

The software doesn't fetch alerts when you aren't using the site, so I'm not sure how useful this would be, unless I'm missing something?

Noooooooooooooooooooooo this isn't Twitter and it isn't Facebook, people should stop trying to make forums imitate those sites, the end result will be that people will just prefer the real thing.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo this isn't Twitter and it isn't Facebook, people should stop trying to make forums imitate those sites, the end result will be that people will just prefer the real thing.
It is not to imitate twitter. It is to simply make the alert system better. It is already there so why not make it better? I merely suggested to use twitter's (), you could use [] || or whatever floats your boat...I would never want to imitate these social networks, I have my reasons why...but that is for a different thread

In that case, this is a duplicate which has been suggested several times already.

For the reasons already given, push alerts aren't possible for most servers

Top Bottom