Won't fix  title length

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
R

ragtek

The title length for the threads is set to 100 in the datawriter( xenforo_datawriter_discussion), and to 150 in the database.
IMHO this should be the same^^

Oh, yes please - 150 please!
smile.png

I ask for this because Jaxel's excellent xenAtendo events/calendar add-on connects an event to a new thread, but brilliantly pulls in the info from both the 'Event' title & 'Town & Postcode' [State/ZIP code] fields to create the thread title, which is causing a wee bit of a problem, as explained in THIS POST.

If anything, the DB would be synced to 100 right now, as 150 characters is pretty long for the average thread title. There's no overhead of having the DB have a longer length, in this case.

I'm not planning on changing anything here. The 150 value does give us some leeway if we make an option for the limit and want to allow slightly longer titles, though that's not a trivial change. You will see the 100 used throughout the HTML as maxlength attributes though.

The 150 value does give us some leeway if we make an option for the limit and want to allow slightly longer titles, though that's not a trivial change. You will see the 100 used throughout the HTML as maxlength attributes though.

Hi Mike, does that mean the advice given HERE would not work?

It works in that you'll be allowed to have a title that long programmatically, but you won't be able to type one in that long (it's just a client side limit though). It may make editing long thread titles a problem.

It works in that you'll be allowed to have a title that long programmatically, but you won't be able to type one in that long (it's just a client side limit though). It may make editing long thread titles a problem.

So, it may work for events created in xenAtendo, as that doesn't appear to limit what you can type in the event title field [yet] and then pulls in the town/postcode field as part of the associated thread's title.

Sorry, I know you don't support add-ons, but apart from a possible problem with editing titles [which I can check out] would is cause any other problems within xenForo?

Personally I dislike thread titles that span two lines, especially if they span more than two. 50 characters should be enough - contact should be used in the content of a post, not it's title. The title is not a description either.

And yes, I can imagine situations where 100 chars is desirable.

One of the longest thread titles which is showing on my board index is "[Help?] Ubuntu Security Questions" people dont write long titles any more, I don't see why this would be needed. Good call at "wont fix" but I'd put it as "not a bug" if it were me, or "as designed".

Personally I dislike thread titles that span two lines, especially if they span more than two. 50 characters should be enough - contact should be used in the content of a post, not it's title. The title is not a description either.

And yes, I can imagine situations where 100 chars is desirable.

One of the longest thread titles which is showing on my board index is "[Help?] Ubuntu Security Questions" people dont write long titles any more, I don't see why this would be needed. Good call at "wont fix" but I'd put it as "not a bug" if it were me, or "as designed".

I agree with both of you, for normal thread titles.

This is only causing me a problem with events, as the add-on pulls in the town & postcode [and indeed the date in thread view] as part of the associated thread title, which is perfectly logical and makes the calendar view perfect in my mind.

Events_live.webp

If I can just change the limit to 150, without breaking anything in xenForo, whilst the limit of typing thread titles remain at 100 in xenforo and hopefully Jaxel can make that the limit for typing a event title, that would be perfect – as the town/postcode field is not going to break the extra 50 when it’s pulled in.

So, I am just looking for reassurance that if I up the limit in datawriter it’s not going to break anything in xenForo.

Hi @Mike,

I'm sorry if this thread is not the proper one for my inquiry, but I wonder what would happen if you import from vBulletin (or any other software) and you have titles longer than 100 characters.

Thanks in advance for your reply. :)

Top Bottom