Browser issue Title font difference on mobile?

beerForo

Affected version
Some titles have larger font. I clicked so you can see bold/not.

Android

IMG_20200828_090419.jpg

IMG_20200828_090445.jpg

IMG_20200828_090433.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately this has come up before. :(

Good info, it could certainly be related to the size selector of text in Chrome on android. I have a smaller smartphone so I put Extra Large. The question is why would it only enlarge some of them, and perhaps XF can use this info.

Thanks for the post.

The question is why would it only enlarge some of them, and perhaps XF can use this info.
From what I've experienced and our members reported, it seems to be what was mentioned in that thread... if it wraps to 3 lines or more then it may or may not happen. What's annoying is it's not consistent.

In chrome (Settings/Display/Text) it happens in the jump from Large to XL. Large keeps it consistent. I will keep that for now.

Last edited:
I believe Chrome on Android has some heuristics surround dynamic text sizing. I'd guess that those settings affect their algorithm so I suspect there isn't much we can do about it. (And if we did/could do something about it, that might actually go against a user's wishes for accessibility purposes, for example.)

@Mike Now, it is happening with Large when before it was Extra Large. The only difference is I upgraded to Pixel 6 on the latest android.

The text is larger when bold in the What's New, but only for my News forum, which is an Article forum using Preview display. Strange!

So in the Default setting it works fine, Large is causing the issue, but before only Extra Large was. But today I set it to Default and left it there, but the strange thing is, it only happens with article posts in the list, they are bold and larger font. The other posts are not larger. I'm not sure if this is still a browser issue if some threads looks fine, article don't. Thanks

Last edited:
@beerForo, you said you have a Pixel 6, correct? My Pixel 6 does not have L & XL font settings. It's a percentage with a slider bar. For me anything over 100% results in different title font sizes discussed in this thread. It's been the same for me since I got the Pixel seven months ago. No change.

I have a Galaxy S20 with Android 12 and if I crank the font size up using the slider in Settings - Display - Font Size and Style, it affects the category titles but not forum or thread titles. And it affects text in the editor but not for reading.

Okay I figured out the behavior. It is not article forums, it is any title that wraps to a second line. The font size increases for the entire title. Switch to portrait and the title is fine as one line, not larger.
Bug: On android with the Large font setting in Display Settings, in What's New (etc.) titles have a larger font if they wrap to a second line.

Top Bottom