• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Tips 'n Tricks to Customize your Sidebar

Vincent

Hello y'all. (This is actually a thread with a collection of sidebar modifications)

Since the default sidebar is a little bit too short for a regular forum, I think that at every forum needs to have some additional blocks.

So, here's a little tutorial to let you know what you can do with your sidebar.

Before you start I suggest that you add every CSS addition to the template called EXTRA.css

Everything you want to add before the forum statistics you'll need to add/edit in the template called sidebar_online_users.
Everything you want to add after the forum statistics you need to add/edit in the template called forum_list AFTER the following line:
Code:
<!-- end block: forum_stats -->

If you want to remove the visitor panel at the forum home, you can do it by changing the following code in the template called forum_list
Code:
<xen:sidebar>
to
Code:
<xen:sidebar>
<xen:container var="$noVisitorPanel">1</xen:container>

Simply install the modification and add this line to the template called sidebar_online_users or forum_list
Code:
<xen:include template="affiliates" />
Top Threads in Sidebar
topthread-caps-2-jpg.5523

Simply install the modification and add this line to the template called sidebar_online_users or forum_list
Code:
<xen:include template="yilmaz_top_threads" />

Code:
<xen:include template="bloc_tv_ou_radio" />

Code:
<xen:include template="bloc_facebook" />

Code:
<xen:include template="tenshi_latest_thread" />

Code:
<xen:include template="GP_donations" />

Code:
<xen:include template="GP_steam" />

This is actually a remake of the "Online Users", it has some extra features.
To install it, simply replace all the code in sidebar_online_users with the one provided in the topic of the modification.

As the title says, it adds an RSS Feed block in the sidebar which you can specify.
Check the topic for installation instructions because that's a very good tutorial on how to install it.

If you want little icons before your header titles there, you can use this modification to do this.
Personally I reject this add-on because it's extra loading time. It's nice already without icons.

In sidebar_online_users, remove the code provided in the topic/

This adds a Twitter Block to the Sidebar. Silmply follow the rules in the topic ;)

Want to add something simple? Follow that topic.
Don't forget to submit your code if you're done so we can all enjoy it!

If you got 10 staff members online at once, your sidebar will be huge! This modification will only show the avatars of the staff members so it will only be 3 lines instead of 10.

If you don't want 2 different blocks for Staff and Members, this brings them together.

If you want to link some sites, you can do it with this modification.

Adds "Date and Time" in "Forum Statistics" after the "Latest Member" line.

Well, this is it. I hope your sidebar will now be as you wish ;)

If I forgot one, please say so.
- Vincent

I see what you did.... you took all of the sidebar add-ons from the add-ons forum and put them in this one thread.

You should say that's what you did in your first post, because when you read it, it looks like these are all your mods. :)

Just want to keep this in for later work thanks so much for putting so much information all into one area it is helpful for me...

Thank you for this thread.
It was especially helpful to know WHERE to add stuff Vincent. As in

Everything you want to add before the forum statistics you'll need to add/edit in the template called sidebar_online_users.

All I did was add a plain old table to the end of the template sidebar_online_users
In that I put links to each of my main Categories, some info Pages, and the matching wiki sections.
It works fine.

My aim is to make all my content areas collected together in one menu block.

At the moment I'm adding it to a few other places like category_view so as you click on each Category bar you see the same menu.

But I'll get to doing it as a separate template soon. That's new to me but of course it'd be much more efficient once I get it set up.

Thank you again.

Top Bottom