Time Limit On Editing

Anthony Parsons

The time limiting on editing in the usergroups... is that only for personal conversations?

Is there a way to limit editing posting content?

I am curious as to people's opinion on the time-limited editing issue.
I currently have a 48 hour limit on my boards, but get some requests to edit posts after the limit.
Anyone have horror stories to share about allowing unlimited editing? :)

One time I had a user rage quit. He had thousands of posts and he edited them all to remove the content of each post. I had to go into a backup, isolate the relevant post records, and manually merge those records into the current database.

Now I allow 30 days for editing instead of unlimited.

I had exactly the same Jake.

Fortunately I was online while the user was doing it so I calmly banned them and restored the lost post content.

I bet that annoyed them even more :D

Yep, this is why I'm asking as well, as I believe its an essential aspect that is missing, because I could not convert my main forum without the ability to limit post editing, as I implemented for the same reasons as above with people going nuts in a frantic outburst and suddenly a thousand or more posts say ************ in them. Whilst it can be undone in VB... that is mighty painful post by post.

I am curious as to people's opinion on the time-limited editing issue.
I currently have a 48 hour limit on my boards, but get some requests to edit posts after the limit.

Attachments get deleted, content changed to different things. There's no record and things become "he said/she said". It's a nightmare. The limit will save the hassle. Besides, I find that users just reply to their post or submit a new one after they find out they can no longer edit.

Jake and Brogan are quite generous with their post edit limit. ;-)

For me, I can't think of a reason anyone would need more than a couple of days to go back and change what they posted.

For me, I can't think of a reason anyone would need more than a couple of days to go back and change what they posted.

Users that maintain FAQ posts where information is constantly appended/updated would not like this feature. I could see using an edit time limit in particular areas on a forum, instead of an all or nothing setup.

Top Bottom