1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time Limit On Editing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by Anthony Parsons, Oct 20, 2010.

1. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

The time limiting on editing in the usergroups... is that only for personal conversations?

Is there a way to limit editing posting content?
  2. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

The editing time limit is for PC messages.

There is not an option available for posts at this time.
  3. Peter

Peter Active Member

Does that mean it's unlimited edit for post at the moment?
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It's either on or off per usergroup.

There is currently no way of limiting the amount of time a post is able to be edited.
  5. Peter

Peter Active Member

6. Brogan

7. Peter

Peter Active Member

Oooops, thanks!
  8. KenSmith

KenSmith Active Member

I am curious as to people's opinion on the time-limited editing issue.
    I currently have a 48 hour limit on my boards, but get some requests to edit posts after the limit.
    Anyone have horror stories to share about allowing unlimited editing? :)
  9. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

One time I had a user rage quit. He had thousands of posts and he edited them all to remove the content of each post. I had to go into a backup, isolate the relevant post records, and manually merge those records into the current database.

Now I allow 30 days for editing instead of unlimited.
  10. Brogan

I had exactly the same Jake.

Fortunately I was online while the user was doing it so I calmly banned them and restored the lost post content.

I bet that annoyed them even more :D
  11. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Yep, this is why I'm asking as well, as I believe its an essential aspect that is missing, because I could not convert my main forum without the ability to limit post editing, as I implemented for the same reasons as above with people going nuts in a frantic outburst and suddenly a thousand or more posts say ************ in them. Whilst it can be undone in VB... that is mighty painful post by post.
  12. Peter

Peter Active Member

Attachments get deleted, content changed to different things. There's no record and things become "he said/she said". It's a nightmare. The limit will save the hassle. Besides, I find that users just reply to their post or submit a new one after they find out they can no longer edit.
  13. Peter

Peter Active Member

Jake and Brogan are quite generous with their post edit limit. ;-)

For me, I can't think of a reason anyone would need more than a couple of days to go back and change what they posted.
  14. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

Users that maintain FAQ posts where information is constantly appended/updated would not like this feature. I could see using an edit time limit in particular areas on a forum, instead of an all or nothing setup.