Thrilled to death at how fast add-ons are appearing

fast indeed, i'm still taking it slowly taking in all that is new in xenforo installation i just made LOL

Well I haven't gotten into many many details. But it seems like it's easier to understand and work with compared to vB.

I think vB3 was great for mods. When vB4 hit.. it was a disaster. If you ask any modder about vB4 mods. I think they would want to back away from it.

Well I haven't gotten into many many details. But it seems like it's easier to understand and work with compared to vB.

I think vB3 was great for mods. When vB4 hit.. it was a disaster. If you ask any modder about vB4 mods. I think they would want to back away from it.

May I ask you as to what is your personal coding experience with vb 3 and 4 and now with xenforo that you came to that conculsion? Or is it something that you are just saying for the sake of saying influenced by posts/threads that you have read? Coding for xenforo is defenitly not easier than coding for vb. And any other coder out there knows this too.

Back on topic, yes, I have also noticed the number of mods being developed for xenforo withing a very short time frame and if the rhythem is being kept on which I believe it will, we will have a rich add on section here quite soon.

It's absolutly not easier;)
In vB4 you hadn't to know OOP if you wanted to add SMALL things, you only had to know a little bit of php.
Now it's important to understand OOP and how to deal with the event listeners, etc...

ATM the only thing i found until now, which is easier as with vB3/4 are the User Permissions. Now you can create own Entries with an UI, instead of creating a xml file and the phrases;)

I didn''t say that I know everything there is to know about xenforo but we were talking about the coding part of it, remember ;)
I was also talking about the coding part. You may know the kind of coding but there is still a fair bit to learn that is specific to XF.

I remember Kier saying somewhere that once you're over that learning curve it should be more efficient to code for.

I'm looking forward to seeing the hooks/listeners used a lot more. Many mods atm have lots of template modifications to make them work. That leads to a PITA to maintain down the road. I'm guessing that the mods will mature right along with the XF core itself. :)

To be fair, it is once you understand what's going on and how everything works. After that, I'd definitely say it's easier as you can start building complex things very quickly.

Just about to get my hands dirty with some code .... from the IPB world so am expecting a major learning curve going forward, but hopefully Xen does a bunch of stuff that we don't need to code for ... just add calls and the like :)

Top Bottom