Not planned Threaded View Mode

Brent W

I am unable to import one of my vBulletin 4 forums due to how heavily the community uses threaded view mode for threads. Would like to see this offered in xenForo in a future upgrade.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Thanks for that. Hopefully they change their mind or can come up with something similar. Hate to have to go to IP.Board or some other forum software for this site.

Thanks for that. Hopefully they change their mind or can come up with something similar. Hate to have to go to IP.Board or some other forum software for this site.

Why not get some of your users to test out the linear view? Your current VB setup allow that?

It is much more worthwhile in the long term. I used to be with Vb, and Xenforo is miles better, my site is around 80% faster too

Why not get some of your users to test out the linear view? Your current VB setup allow that?

It is much more worthwhile in the long term. I used to be with Vb, and Xenforo is miles better, my site is around 80% faster too

They chose threaded view because they prefer it over Linear view.

What I've learned about users (including myself) is that they like anything that they are used to, no matter how bad it is. It's still your site, even if a majority of users want A that does not mean you should not do B. Just sayin'.

I don't want to upset some of the most active people on the site that keep it going. This forum does 1,000+ posts a day and some of the ones that contribute the most to that use Threaded View mode and made it clear how much they enjoyed it over Linear. While it is my site it is also a community that people built because of how they enjoy using.

Don't want to upset that.

Just another of the minority plugging the threaded/hybrid model. I realize this is on the "Not going to happen" list here at XenForo and I have no problem with that. However, I am evaluating forum software and while I like what else I have seen of XenForo, this is a deal breaker for me. I will have to take my business elsewhere.

Why it matters to me: I am a member on a very active site where members ask for help in a forum that can quickly have 50 to 100 other members also asking for help. It uses the flat model. Trying to find replies to YOUR request when it might require scrolling thru 4 or 5 pages of responses, when replies aren't always clearly obvious (sometimes there is a similar question and the replies don't always quote, for example) can be most frustrating. Being able to have topics threaded (by default collapsed to only see the original posts) and then allowing hybrid mode (click on your questions to open/display all replies to just that question) would simplify life for those looking for help as well as for those willing to give it.

Just an FYI, the forum that we were initially worried about was never an issue and the members adapted with no issues. I personally hate threaded forums and find myself hardly ever reading and spending any amount of time on sites like Reddit that uses them.

For small blogs, threaded is fine. For active forums, so much information being collapsed and hidden is not useful at all to me.

Top Bottom