Not planned Thread viewing oddity

ChemicalKicks

Ok so you've checked in on a thread and been taken to the last unread post by clicking on the thread link, you've then navigated away but decide you want to post something relevant in the thread.

You click on the thread link as you did before but now you're brought to the very first post of the thread, this is counter-intuitive IMO, I fully expect to be taken to the last post in the thread if I've read everything.

Can I ask that you consider modifying this behaviour.

Thank you.

EDIT:

Try it for yourself, check out this link, go to the very last page. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redirection-scripts-for-invision-power-board-3-1-x.14652/

No navigate to the containing forum http://xenforo.com/community/forums/add-on-releases.32/

Click the thread title again, where do you land?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Does anyone have a fix I could apply that would bring a user to the last post if they've already read the entire thread. I'd be very greatfull as It's becoming very irritating.

If the user is logged in, you can always link to the "threads/unread" action (how it works when the thread is unread) in the thread_list_item template. If the thread is read, this will go to the last post.

Otherwise, there's always the date in the last post column.

If the user is logged in, you can always link to the "threads/unread" action (how it works when the thread is unread) in the thread_list_item template. If the thread is read, this will go to the last post.

Otherwise, there's always the date in the last post column.
Mike I really appreciate you responding to this, can you see where I'm coming from on this, given the behaviour is 9/10 bringing you to the last unread post. When you click back into a read thread you expect to be taken to the last post :) Do you think this is something that could be addressed at some point your end?

If you have time could you perhaps give more detailed instructions on your workaround, I'm good at pointing things out but I am rubbish at the fixing :)

When you click back into a read thread you expect to be taken to the last post :) Do you think this is something that could be addressed at some point your end?
I take the point and I have run into it before, but equally there are plenty of times where I'm re-reading a thread and I do want to start from the beginning. IMO, both expectations are valid.

In thread_list_item, you should see this line:
Code:
<a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$thread.isNew} AND {$thread.haveReadData}', '/unread'}", $thread}"

Change it to (I believe):
Code:
<a href="{xen:link "threads{xen:if '{$visitor.user_id}', '/unread'}", $thread}"

I take the point and I have run into it before, but equally there are plenty of times where I'm re-reading a thread and I do want to start from the beginning. IMO, both expectations are valid.

So the question is ... if someone has read the thread, should clicking on the title take you to the beginning or the end of the thread ?

Currently: Xenforo take you to the beginning.
Proposal: I feel it should be the end of the thread.

Why ?
#1) There already is access to the first post ! If you want to access the first post in a thread, regardless of its read state, simply click on the start date. To make it even easier to access the first post there is a very prominent tooltip popup !
xenforo.clicking.date.takes.you.to.first.post.webp

#2) When someone has read a thread already, the reason they are clicking on the thread title is to reply to the thread. I certainly think the majority of the time people want to go to the end of the thread. I guesstimate 80%/20%, not 50%/50%. For the 20% of the time people are annoyed they are directed to the end of the thread, they should learn #1. The 20% shouldn't prevent end of thread access for the 80%. Majority rules :).

I use the template edit provided by Mike to get around it, tried looking into making an add-on that would modify the behavior but got stuck. But you're quite right, its simply not intuitive.

+ agree on not intuitive.

I feel it annoys the "key" members, as it takes me to the start of a thread, when I've read it all. I almost never want it that way.

The scenario is that I have researched something, found some links, and then are ready to reply to the thread, and then when I click on the thread it takes me to the start. I think the default, if you have read the thread, should be the end not the start.

Top Bottom