1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thread starter should be able to add posts at top of thread anytime: Getting rid of the "Reserved"

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Digital Doctor, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

If you start an important thread, and have lots of replies ...
    ... wouldn't it be sensible to allow the OP / Thread starter to add a post under his/her original one .... say for documentation, screenshots, etc.

Kier called this idea "First Post Footnotes".
    empire, RoldanLT, Brentnauer and 34 others like this.
  2. aculate

aculate Well-Known Member

you know how many users keep writing to me (i'm the admin of my board) to add something to the main thread they created? I support this suggestion... it should be an option per usergroup
  3. Lance

Lance New Member

The site I'm intending on starting up could use something specifically like this - great idea DD :)
  4. Digital Doctor

Lance: Oh *gosh* if you like this one, my Addon idea will blow your mind !! :)

Just try hanging around a big thread a xbmc.org ! and when the OP goes away ... everyone whines the original thread can't be updated.
  5. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

Certainly an idea for an add-on, but I don't know if I'd like this in core.

The edit function usually works well for this purpose.
  6. Tanax

Tanax Active Member

Not really. On a forum I'm a moderator on there are a lot of tutorials including screenshots to help illustrate what to do. We also have a maximum image per post setting as we don't want every post with 10000000 images. I think we have it set to around 18~ish. For a tutorial this might not be enough. But we can't set the image setting higher just because *some* posts require it. Just take that staffmember here on this forum that is writing the addon-tutorial. He's locking that thread because he doesn't want people commenting - I'm gonna guess that it's because he wants his posts in order. With this feature he can open that thread up for discussion and be able to insert posts after the firstpost before the replies.

So this idea definitely gets a like from me. Obviously with permissions per usergroup and per forum of who can use it.
    Grover, Lance and yoghurtfarmer like this.
  7. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

Good points I never considered.
  8. Lance

Lance New Member

Well said Tanax :)
  9. Green Cat

Green Cat Active Member

Great idea, the "reserved" post are pretty annoying.
    steven s and gordy like this.
  10. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

No, there is no requirement her.
  11. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Indefinite (or extended) ability to edit posts also allows for possible abuse (e.g. an angry, rebellious member removes the content from all of his posts).
  12. Ruven

Ruven Well-Known Member

There was a mod on vB3.8 that allowed you to change the date of any thread/post with ease.
    I used this a lot for pushing relevant posts in the middle of a long thread to the first page.
    It had a lot of other useful features though, i forget the name of the mod atm.
  13. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

14. Jamie

Jamie Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great Add on, not something built into the core of xF.

15. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

'First post footnotes'... hmm :)
    Andrej, ibnesayeed, pjfry and 10 others like this.
  16. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Exactly. For nostalgia reasons ;)... I invite people to check out this thread if you have access to it: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...o-INSERT-a-posting-inside-an-existing-thread. That suggestion is almost 7 (that's... s.e.v.e.n !!!) years old.

However, what is nagging me and my board more now then the inability to insert postings is the fact that all our posts are 'protected' by a time-limit to edit them. Making it impossible for a regular user to change or add any information in the first posting of a thread. This is ofcourse the benefit of such a time-limit, but this limit is now working against our work-procedures in those cases that regular users need to edit their first posting of a thread. Very annoying, as I expressed on our former 'home' earlier:

And more...

17. Digital Doctor

You were ahead of your time !

You can insert a XenCarta Wiki entry into a post ALREADY!
    Let's try to convince Jaxel to integrate the XenCarta into the forums (ie. items show up in New Posts)
    If a few things are added to XenCarta it could be a game changer.
  18. MGSteve

MGSteve Well-Known Member

To be honest I'd have thought this would be easy enough. Just have a flag for each post which when sets causes the post to be 'stuck' at the top of the thread with all other similar posts, which are then sorted in date order. Following any 'stuck' posts would be the other posts in date order (i.e. as normal).
  19. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

4 days latey, you now must have an amazing idea in your brains :)
    Work that idea out and move this topic to the Implented Suggestions forum :) :) :)
  20. Grover

Grover Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, that's why we needed to set the Time Limit on Editing of Posts on 3 days on our vBulletin powered board. I sure hope XenForo gives us the same functionality.

But exactly this time limit function causes serious inconveniences, as I explained here:

... because editing the first posting of a thread by the author of that posting then also becomes impossible.

The new client I am talking to now who is interested in XenForo, is searching for a system that let's their members edit the first posting of a thread indefinitely. You see, they are going (or want to) use XenForo to discuss all kinds of ideas and they will use the first posting of a thread to gather those ideas into a convenient overview-list. So the first posting always is the central point where you find the latest updated overview of all the ideas that have been discussed in all the subsequent postings in that same thread. This already is how I work myself in my own Staf Zone on my vBulletin 3.8 powered website (they didn't get the idea from a stranger ;-). Unfortunately our regular users (non-moderators) can not work like that, because of this time limit we where forced to set.

Is this new client going to face the same problems as we do on our vBulletin powered sites, or is there some way that XenForo can give us the functionality that we can set a time limit (so that most postings are protected) and at the same time grant thread-starters indefinite access to their first postings in a thread? I do hope so, because this has already been one of the most annoying problems for us in the software we have been using for 9 years. That's why I already suggested this kind of functionality 7 years ago...

Forums are used for much more then simply starting a new post and discuss that further. In this day of age (in my opinion that started already 7 years ago) we use forums for all kinds of content-creation/interaction. The first posting of a thread has -ideally- more uses to it, so I dearly hope to see more flexibility in this.