1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Thread Preview Tooltip

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Amaury, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Where do I edit its styling? I want to get rid of the transparency.

It looks like @contentBackground controls the main background while @primaryDarker gets the border. So that means that there are also individual style properties that control it.

I make my styles by editing the color palette items and then fine-tuning them with edits to the individual style properties and some of the templates (e.g., to change the controlling style property for something to something else).

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Inspect the element, get a class name. Search for the selector or class in the templates, find it. It will tell you the style property (if there is one).

Amaury likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I can't. When I go to put my cursor over it, it disappears.

4. Jeremy

It should remain in the HTML.

5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Sorry, but what do you mean?

6. Jeremy

The AJAX request inserts HTML on the page. It should remain in the source when not displayed.

7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean like it will have an invisible box selected to still inspect? If so, I can do that in other areas, but not here, unfortunately.

8. Jeremy

As I said, it's still in the source:
    Screen Shot 2013-11-01 at 11.04.36 AM.png

9. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Oh! I was only looking at the inspector tool on the right side.

Okay, I'll give it a go and see if I can get it.

10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Okay, I can't seem to get it. What area did you inspect?

I apologize for my stupidity.

11. Jeremy

Preview the thread. Inspect the source code. Search for a word. You'll find the appropriate HTML.

12. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Well, I can't find anything. *sighs*

It's not like it's hard-to-see text or anything, so it's not that big of an issue.

13. Jeremy

What inspector do you use? It's definitely in there. You could even use the screenshot to determine classes.

14. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

15. Jeremy

It doesn't add it to the actual thread. If you'll notice in my screen shot, its right above </body>.

16. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Now I'm just completely confused...

17. Jeremy

The inserted HTML is done at the end of the body tag. It is positioned via CSS. You can observe that in the screenshot above.

RobinHood likes this.
  18. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Okay, I managed to figure this out. If I add a background to the Preview Tooltip style property, which by default has a clear value, then it becomes a solid background.

This was the same case with the popup menus. If I added a background to the Menu style property, which, again, by default has a clear value, I would get a solid background. However, thanks to @Russ here, I discovered it was because the template xenforo_popup.css had transparency hard-coded at 0.96, which I changed to 1.

So with that said, I think it's the same case here. A template has transparency hard-coded for the preview tooltips. Which template contains the preview tooltips and which line of code do I edit?

19. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Never mind. I searched the templates for @previewTooltip; it was in xenforo.css, and it was indeed hard-coded -- at 0.5, to be exact.