XF 1.5 Thread preview, make it pop up faster?

sross

I have used css to remove the avatar and that was an improvement, but it still is a bit slow for my users liking. They prefer a more instant preview popup similar to vbulletin (what they were used to). Maybe there is a setting somewhere to speed it up? Thanks

*edit: i figured it out via:

Appearance => Styles => {Style Name} => Style Property Groups => General

however, it still flashes the word "Loading.." is there anyway to remove that?

Last edited:
on this site and yours, for me they take around 1.5-2 seconds all up. I'm on a macpro retina and gigabit fiber. My own server is a dedicated 8core box with plenty of resource. The previews first pop up, then you see "loading.." then the text appears. It's not what I consider "instant". After it does load, if you go back and mouse over again it's instant. I find it odd that my old crusty vbulleting was instant for this but xf is 1-2seconds delay.

That's how it works since it's a Java function. It will be a second or so. Once you load it, it will be instant until you reload the page. There's really no way to change that behavior. There are some settings in the SPs you can use to change how long the loading effect takes, but the actual loading will still be there.

That's how it works since it's a Java function. It will be a second or so. Once you load it, it will be instant until you reload the page. There's really no way to change that behavior. There are some settings in the SPs you can use to change how long the loading effect takes, but the actual loading will still be there.
Out of curiosity how does vbulletin 4 do it instantly?

Our thread preview uses a request to the server to get the relevant information, which is why you see a "loading" indicator. There isn't any way to change that.

Our thread preview uses a request to the server to get the relevant information, which is why you see a "loading" indicator. There isn't any way to change that.
I can pretty much almost just click the thread title, glance at the thread and go back to the thread list all in the same time it takes the thread preview to load. Seems there must be a better way to code this. Possibly every time a thread is created, at that moment the preview snippet is generated, put in the DB and an id # is assigned to it. Then when viewing a list of threads, all the id's linked to a snippet quickly pre-load the text -at that point everything is instant when moused over.

Top Bottom