As designed Thread created by an ignored member

chulapi

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create account "test1" and open a new thread in any section of your forum.
2. Create account "test2" and add "test1" to your ignore list.
3. Still logged as "test2" enter to the section where "test1" created his thread and you'll see the ignore system in action because his thread will not appear - that's ok. However, in the forumhome, if another member replied to that thread recently you'll see the title of the thread, something like this:

Latest: Thread created by test1
Mike, 3 minutes ago

If I go to the thread I'll see its contents starting from post #2 because the #1 was made by a member that I'm ignoring however I don't know if showing the information about this thread in the forumhome is as designed or a bug.

If Xenforo didint show that thread created by the ignored user then there would be a performance hit. It pays to keep things simple. If you do find a plugin that hides the thread then I would advise against using it even if your forum doesnt get a lot of traffic.

The lesser queries the better :) This is the very reason I use Xenforo.

Sorry to drag this up again, but a user has reported that the following is happening;

-He ignored a user
-Posts by ignored user no longer displaying, as required
-Threads made by ignored users displaying, but ignored user content not displaying as required.

But...

Whenever a new reply is added to a thread created by an ignored member, the thread is not thrown to the top of the list of threads, in either Xenporta, or the standard forum list.

Is there a way to fix this?

Threads created by ignored users shouldn't be shown to users unless explicitly stated. Past that, you should try after disabling add-ons temporarily, as that isn't the correct functionality. For XenPorta, you should be contacting the add-on author.

Sorry to bump this, but is there a way to allow the user to see thread, created by ignored user?
Example: Large thread (in our case 350+ pages), one user starts to ignore another user, who happens to be the topic starter.
And all of a sudden the whole thread is not visible. Is there a workaround to still show threads by ignored user, just not to show his posts in that thread?
I can imagine that current design is more desirable on small forums with consistent drama occurrences, but if you take a large forum with large threads and lots of users, then this issue starts to become annoying, since through ignoring the thread author people fall our of months of (hopefully fruitful) discussion.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this, but is there a way to allow the user to see thread, created by ignored user?
Example: Large thread (in our case 350+ pages), one user starts to ignore another user, who happens to be the topic starter.
And all of a sudden the whole thread is not visible. Is there a workaround to still show threads by ignored user, just not to show his posts in that thread?
I can imagine that current design is more desirable on small forums with consistent drama occurrences, but if you take a large forum with large threads and lots of users, then this issue starts to become annoying, since through ignoring the thread author people fall our of months of (hopefully fruitful) discussion.

I absolutely need this functionality too; there are number of recurring threads which are very popular, and therefore full of inevitable drama. They are started once a month, but are open to be created by whatever user gets in there first, so I would like the ability for threads to be seen by everyone, but only the posts inside to be ignored.

If anyone has managed this, please let us know how to do it (or I am going to have to go into the code myself...)

Top Bottom