Fixed  Thread Cache Rebuild - Died without 1024MB

Ryan McAdams

So I was doing a cache rebuild on a forum with just over 3M threads and it died repeatedly telling me it broke the cap of 128MB for php's memory limit.

Error here:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 71 bytes) in /public_html/community/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php on line 295

So I did some digging because my php memory limit was set to 256MB on my server and found that XenForo was overriding the php memory limit in it's Application.php file:

PHP:
        public function beginApplication($configDir = '.', $rootDir = '.', $loadDefaultData = true)
        {
                if ($this->_initialized)
                {
                        return;
                }

if (function_exists('get_magic_quotes_gpc') && get_magic_quotes_gpc())
                {
                        self::undoMagicQuotes($_GET);
                        self::undoMagicQuotes($_POST);
                        self::undoMagicQuotes($_COOKIE);
                        self::undoMagicQuotes($_REQUEST);
                }
                if (function_exists('set_magic_quotes_runtime'))
                {
                        set_magic_quotes_runtime(false);
                }

@ini_set('memory_limit', 128 * 1024 * 1024);
                ignore_user_abort(true);

@ini_set('output_buffering', false);
                while (@ob_end_clean());

error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT & ~8192);
                @ini_set('display_errors', true);
                set_error_handler(array('XenForo_Application', 'handlePhpError'));
                set_exception_handler(array('XenForo_Application', 'handleException'));

date_default_timezone_set('UTC');

self::$time = time();

self::$host = (empty($_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']) ? '' : $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST']);

require(XenForo_Autoloader::getInstance()->autoloaderClassToFile('Lgpl_utf8'));

$this->_configDir = $configDir;
                $this->_rootDir = $rootDir;
                $this->addLazyLoader('requestPaths', array($this, 'loadRequestPaths'));

if ($loadDefaultData)
                {
                        $this->loadDefaultData();
                }

$this->_initialized = true;
        }
The line in question is:

@ini_set('memory_limit', 128 * 1024 * 1024);

Now normally this would probably work and be no big deal... however my cache rebuild (again threads) would not complete with this limit. It broke on 256MB also so I decided to set it to 1024.

When PHP's limit was 1 gig it worked fine and the rebuild ran all the way through... (please note I did not try 512).

I figured I should report this :)

Thanks,
Ryan

Was this with debug mode on?

It's possibly related to you mentioning that you have a thread with 250,000 posts. That wasn't really an expectation of the system. It's worth looking into.

I think debug might have been on a I suggested it to try and catch any errors related to the original import.

As it turns out, it wasn't stuck, just processing that huge thread.

Was this with debug mode on?

It's possibly related to you mentioning that you have a thread with 250,000 posts. That wasn't really an expectation of the system. It's worth looking into.

Debug mode was on Mike - Sorry for not answering that.

I'm more than willing to help any way I can :) Just tell me what you'd like me to do!