Thread Ban [Paid] [Deleted]

• Thread starter Thread starter Syndol
  • Start date Start date
S

Syndol

Syndol submitted a new resource:

Thread Ban (version 1.0.0) - Banning members from threads., Break up those fights!

About:
This add-on allows your moderators to ban members from specific threads for a set period of time.
Banned user receives an alert with the ban details.
The ban either prevents them from entering/viewing the thread or simply blocks them from submiting a reply.
Bans are automatically lifted after the set period of time expires.

This is extremely useful when attempting to stop vicious arguments between two or more members.
Please note that this add-on...

Read more about this resource...

Isn't $30.....a little exorbitant for something like this??

I guess the only think you can compare it to is how long it would take one to code it themselves.....!!

I don't need such a add-on....or, better yet, it would be cool rolled into a bigger add-on as one of the many features....

But if I really did have to break up fights for some reason, I might consider it! In our case, the mods are pretty far ahead of the members. One nasty comment and the fight is usually broken up....

Well I could use it...but on the other hand I'm not made out of money rofl. I just think it's far too high. Whatever the programmer wants though, it's his product, but he's scaring away a lot of us who would otherwise buy it.

Syndol is building top-notch add-ons and provides excellent support. I would rather pay a few bucks more to a developer who is professional, patient and a total gentlemen at the same time when he engages with customers. All his other addons have the same quality level. I might have some bugdet issues at the time, but when I have the money I'll know that my money will be well spend. Thread watched.

Syndol is one of the few developers on xenforo who builds top notch addons which i personally would have no issue in purchasing so you know what your getting is top notch quality, the add-on is going to be very well supported and the added bonus that syndol is very very very very *hits copy & paste* very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very accommodating at taking requests for additional features of the add-on he's selling. It'll be a worthwhile purchase for a all round excellent add-on.

Out of curiosity Syndol when a member is thread banned are they still able to download attachments from that specific thread they are banned from?

Syndol is one of the few developers on xenforo who builds top notch addons which i personally would have no issue in purchasing...
I would rather pay a few bucks more to a developer who is professional...
Thanks for the kind words of support., they are very much appreciated.
While I never claimed to be a good programmer, I do try my best and spend countless hours writing the code to the best of my ability. I then spend many more hours testing the add-on. This of course does not mean the product is bug free or that I have thought of everything. Charging for the product does however mean that I will attempt to fix it or add obvious options in a timely manner.

I can assure you that all the members here who charge for add-ons are not getting rich doing so. People used to complain about me charging $20 for my Bookmarks add-on. It seems the price is irrelevant. The way I see it, if you do not like the price then you have three options:
1). Don't buy it
2). Make it yourself
3). Add your name to those who PC me demanding that I give it to them for free :eek:

Out of curiosity Syndol when a member is thread banned are they still able to download attachments from that specific thread they are banned from?
Thanks Shelley. A prime example of an oversight. I will of course add that option as soon as possible.

So to recap: this add-on is not perfect and will not do all things for all people, but I have made every effort to ensure that it at least performs as described on the resource page. If you do not feel it is worth your money or meets your standards then simply move along.

#1 it is then ;)

The price is not irrelevant for those of us on shoe string budgets. We're not all Digital Point, or IGN, or Admin World, etc, etc. Don't shoot the messenger is all I can say.

#1 it is then ;)

The price is not irrelevant for those of us on shoe string budgets. We're not all Digital Point, or IGN, or Admin World, etc, etc. Don't shoot the messenger is all I can say.

Considering the average developer rate is upwards of $60 an hour... I must say if Syn coded this up in 15 minutes im impressed!!

I understand. I am far from being rich myself, however, I do not go to the department store and complain about their prices. If I cannot afford something then I do without it. There are many add-ons on here that I would like to purchase and play with but cannot afford!
I release these add-ons because I enjoy writing code and seeing a finished product, not to get rich. It takes me many, many, many hours to create an add-on so I see nothing wrong with charging a small fee to support it. If nothing else it keeps all those who expect the kitchen sink to be included at bay.

There are some hardcoded phrases, so I could not translate them:

"Reason for the ban is required.
Please fill in the field indicating the reason you are banning this user."

"Yes o No o"

#1 it is then ;)

I understand people are on a budget but the price set by the developer is his/her choice and is very much irrelevant with regards to you have any say dictating what the price should be, you pay for their expertise, I know I couldn't code something like this so I rely on people like Syndol . what's 30 Canadian dollars? something like 5p (10 cents?) 2 billion Yemen Rupees? it's not that much for what your getting when you look at the bigger picture. Anyhow, I'm not really debating this with you anymore about pricing for the simple fact you have to respect/accept the developers price settings and/or learn how to develop such an add-on yourself and then realize the time and effort it takes to nurture these kind of skill sets. :)

Anyhow, I'm not really debating this with you anymore about pricing for the simple fact you have to respect/accept the developers price settings and/or learn how to develop such an add-on yourself and then realize the time and effort it takes to nurture these kind of skill sets.

I was never debating in the first place (FYI if that was you debating...you need serious practice). In fact I agreed with Syndol above by liking his post. Now if everyone is done with me....I'd be glad to depart this thread. Thanks a lot. ;)

Considering the average developer rate is upwards of $60 an hour... I must say if Syn coded this up in 15 minutes im impressed!!
I'm not that good. Took me at least 30 minutes. After all I had to create two permissions, a couple of if/else statement, and slap on one or two overlays. The other 20+ files are just for show.

"Yes o No o"
Thanks. Will fix.

I understand. I am far from being rich myself, however, I do not go to the department store and complain about their prices. If I cannot afford something then I do without it. There are many add-ons on here that I would like to purchase and play with but cannot afford!
I release these add-ons because I enjoy writing code and seeing a finished product, not to get rich. It takes me many, many, many hours to create an add-on so I see nothing wrong with charging a small fee to support it. If nothing else it keeps all those who expect the kitchen sink to be included at bay.

You never mentioned this before? :D I'm betting if you made a smiley manager like the happy place and expanded upon it that would be a great seller. Would this be something you'd consider. Apologies for going a bit off-topic.

I'm not that good. Took me at least 30 minutes. After all I had to create two permissions, a couple of if/else statement, and slap on one or two overlays. The other 20+ files are just for show.
It took me longer than that just for translating the phrases. How much a developer should charge is based on price x number of expected customers. If charging $10 gets 3 times more customers than $30, then charging $10 for the addon is better. If charging $60 gets >0.5 numbers of customers (at $30), then charging $60 is better. I am not suggesting charging $60 for the addon though :D .

"Yes o No o"
I found the Yes/No in the ACP template but the sentence above is already phrased.
Where did you find that sentence not phrased?

Top Bottom