Thread about the severe weather today, Wednesday

Seeing some of these videos, reminds me of that film The day after tomorrow.
Scary stuff.
Does anyone else think the weather in general is changing for the worse?
I notice we've had some pretty weird weather where I live and it's usually "tame".

The weather has definitely gotten very weird. Look as the record amounts of snowfall this past winter, for example, in the US.

Ohio is on record for the snowiest winter in decades, as well as the wettest spring in decades, and we're only a bit over a month into spring.

This is the worst tornado outbreak the US has seen in decades... and tornado season hasn't even officially begun yet.

So far, my state (Ohio) has missed the tornadoes. They seem to be going around us.... so far.

Tornado season varies throughout the US. Tornadoes are more common in the South and Mid-West from April to June with a later season for the upper Mid-West and South-East (SC, Florida, ect..). Although tornadoes can and do happen throughout the year.

Very sad with all the recent bad weather taking lives, my prayers go out to all involved.

The worst tornado outbreak in a long time. Only thing that compares in devastation is the April 3, 1974 Super Outbreak when there was 148 Tornadoes in 24hrs. Xenia, Ohio was one of the most devastating with a F5. Xenia is only about 12 miles from me. I was not born until May 1975 so I can only imagine what it was like.

Just read an update of the tornado outbreak.

More than 100 tornadoes touched down and as of April 29th 318 deaths.. :(

The most deaths from tornadoes since 1932.

Just read an update of the tornado outbreak.

More than 100 tornadoes touched down and as of April 29th 318 deaths.. :(

The most deaths from tornadoes since 1932.

Yeah, and the total is expected to rise, as scores of people are still missing.

Scary that we are actually making plans which room to go into in our house in the event of a tornado.
We don't have a basement. We have a laundry room between our garage and kitchen.
I'm thinking that's the safest place since there are no trees on that side of the house and there are two ways to leave the room.
We have a bathroom on the other side of the house but too close to trees.
In severe weather we are going to keep our dogs' leashes in our bedroom and have already predetermined which dog I grab and which my wife grabs.
We are also a short distance to an overpass of a highway.

Scary that we are actually making plans which room to go into in our house in the event of a tornado.
We don't have a basement. We have a laundry room between our garage and kitchen.
I'm thinking that's the safest place since there are no trees on that side of the house and there are two ways to leave the room.
We have a bathroom on the other side of the house but too close to trees.
In severe weather we are going to keep our dogs' leashes in our bedroom and have already predetermined which dog I grab and which my wife grabs.
We are also a short distance to an overpass of a highway.
Ideally the bathroom is the safest place because of all the pipes in the walls. However if it is too close to trees, then yes, the laundry room is the next safest place, as it too has pipes in the walls, and is next to the kitchen which also has pipes in the walls.

I have a basement, but it's not really what I would call safe from a tornado, because if the house is torn away, the basement will be open to the outside. All you can do is what you can do.

The old video showing people taking cover under an overpass while a tornado went by is kinda misleading. Many studies have been done by the National Weather Service and Red Cross proving that underpasses are even more dangerous than staying in a mobile home. Winds actually increase and debris is deadly. The video that was shot a few years ago showed a tornado that most likely only had small debris (rocks, dirt and so on) which is not as dangerous as boards, tree limbs, metal, ect..

The safest place they say to go when all else fails is a ditch. In a house your best bet would be a room in the center of the house, bathtubs and so on have solid plumbing which could be useful for hanging on if the need arises.

EDIT: Useful safety tips http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/tornado/#Safety

Top Bottom