"This should be in core!"

Trekkan

So... I'm posting this as a quick rant. I'm tired of seeing this really, at first I was on board with it in the sense of letting the xF authors know that something should be looked at for core integration.

However, lately everyone is saying it about everything it seems. I'm not even going to disagree that a lot of what they are talking about... maybe it SHOULD be in the core software. However, that being said, how much time do people think the authors have in a day? Somehow more than the rest of us?

Maybe it was simply and oversight and missed and now it'll make it in.

Maybe they figured it'd be more important to get the base functionality out there for another key option, than to fluff up the current one that works, but might not have everything you want, yet.

Maybe it's just a dumb idea and your personal opinion that it should be added is meaningless.

I have no idea which if any of these things it might be, but really... stop. Please... you're not helping by cluttering up every thread with useless "this should be in core!" posts, it's like reading "first" in a thread and it makes me want to smack you.

That is all. =)

First!

On a serious note though, suggesting that add-ons be put in the core is futile.
If the functionality is deemed to be worthwhile by the developers, it will be added.
Third party add-ons aren't going to be included in the software.

I recently asked for something to be put into xF so I'll give my answer.

I am relatively new to the whole system and community because I only started using the software more frequently in the last two weeks. I am not a xF customer yet and there a various basic things which I would like added before I purchase. I don't expect any of my suggestions to be implemented let alone implemented immediately.

Aside from that, I don't see the harm in people mentioning something they believe should be in the software once every now and then. Why have a feedback forum at all if that's not the case?

I recently asked for something to be put into xF so I'll give my answer.

I am relatively new to the whole system and community because I only started using the software more frequently in the last two weeks. I am not a xF customer yet and there a various basic things which I would like added before I purchase. I don't expect any of my suggestions to be implemented let alone implemented immediately.

Aside from that, I don't see the harm in people mentioning something they believe should be in the software once every now and then. Why have a feedback forum at all if that's not the case?

If it were in feedback forums that'd at least make a little more sense. Mostly I see it in mods others have written, and odds are, the xF developers aren't going to check every post in every mod thread hoping someone has yelled within it "This should be in core!" so they can do it.

Also, IMO, I don't care if it's "core" or not, as long as I get functionality that does what I want. Sure, I'd prefer most things were "core" for the sake of supportability, etc. But, that's never going to happen and why there are mod communities for various software and why they will continue to exist. Not everything is for everyone and no group of developers can make any group of people 100% happy.

Aside from that, I don't see the harm in people mentioning something they believe should be in the software once every now and then.
The short answer is that posting a reply like "This should be in core!" really doesn't help to actually get it in the core.

From the sticky thread in the suggestions area called "Guide To Suggestions":
First and foremost, if you like the suggestion that a person has made, like the post. If you have further tweaks to the suggestion, please post them but still like the post.

So if you see a suggestion that you agree with just be sure to 'Like' the post so that it will eventually catch the attention of the developers. If there isn't already a thread for what you want to suggest then create a new one.

Posts like Trekkan is describing end up being just noise in the background.

The developers are listening to us but we need to present our ideas in a manner of controlled chaos instead of a million voices all speaking at the same time.

I don't see the harm in people mentioning something they believe should be in the software once every now and then. Why have a feedback forum at all if that's not the case?

Funny, because your comment just reminded me of something said "pretty much the same" years ago on vBulletin. I think it kicked off then because one Dev (not sure who) made a comment saying they never read the suggestions forum. Ops! Wasn't a wise thing to say at the time!!!

If it were in feedback forums that'd at least make a little more sense. Mostly I see it in mods others have written, and odds are, the xF developers aren't going to check every post in every mod thread hoping someone has yelled within it "This should be in core!" so they can do it.

Also, IMO, I don't care if it's "core" or not, as long as I get functionality that does what I want. Sure, I'd prefer most things were "core" for the sake of supportability, etc. But, that's never going to happen and why there are mod communities for various software and why they will continue to exist. Not everything is for everyone and no group of developers can make any group of people 100% happy.
Apologies. I thought you were talking specifically about the feedback forum. I do agree that such posts should not be included in a modification forum.

i do not believe people are intending to 'suggest' something be added to the core when they say 'this should be in the core'. rather, i believe they are simply complimenting the author for either doing something better or adding what they believe to be critical functionality.

I'll defer to the devs to decide what should be in the core or not; one concern is always about bloat but given the more modular nature of xenforo -- one would hope that certain features could be added (or at least made available and supported) in a way that is optional and doesn't create the bloat goat.

First, what is add-on? Is Edit History an add-on? Right now it's offered as an add-on by a third party for a fee. It makes me wonder if XenForo is trying to stay slim just not to look like they are replicating vBulletin. How many times was Edit History asked to be included in the core and ignored by the developers? Staying inferior by choice is dumb.

First, what is add-on? Is Edit History an add-on? Right now it's offered as an add-on by a third party for a fee. It makes me wonder if XenForo is trying to stay slim just not to look like they are replicating vBulletin. How many times was Edit History asked to be included in the core and ignored by the developers. Staying inferior by choice is dumb.
Post Edit History is nice to have, but it isn't a required feature in comparison to others (Prefixes or notices).

I have no doubt all the major features and suggestions people wish to see will make it, but they have to be prioritized for when they will be added or else the dev cycle will be ridiculously long.

It should be in core unless I don't want to use it. Then it shouldn't be in core. It should be designed for me and only me. How others will use it does not matter. :)

Top Bottom