This member does not have any recent content

Big Dan

Hello,

I have Extended Search installed and Elastic Search is running. I noticed when I click on a member's profile page and hit postings I get "This member doesn't have any recent content" meanwhile the member posted within the last hour.

I've tried dropping and rebuilding the search index with no luck. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dan

Seems to be working after I restarted Elastic Search for a third time.

Is it just me or is Elastic Search shaky? I seen a bunch of errors about Elastic Search not running this morning. According to service elasticsearch status it was up and running.

May be worth upgrading elasticsearch if you're not running one of the more recent versions.

Alternatively, look at your elasticsearch logs -- you may find something that's gone wrong there (such as open file limits).

I've seen a few people report issues with elastic search not running but personally I've never had an issue with it since it started up something like 18 months ago?

Seems to be working after I restarted Elastic Search for a third time.

Is it just me or is Elastic Search shaky? I seen a bunch of errors about Elastic Search not running this morning. According to service elasticsearch status it was up and running.
I'm running into this same issue...

I used to have ElasticSearch 1.4.2, and this happened with one specific member with that version (when I click the member's Postings tab it says "This member does not have any recent content." even though they have posted yesterday and pretty much everyday!)

I upgraded to 1.4.5 and it continues to happen.

I've deleted ES index and rebuilt it.

I don't know how to debug this, any ideas, anyone?

I'm running into this same issue...

I used to have ElasticSearch 1.4.2, and this happened with one specific member with that version (when I click the member's Postings tab it says "This member does not have any recent content." even though they have posted yesterday and pretty much everyday!)

I upgraded to 1.4.5 and it continues to happen.

I've deleted ES index and rebuilt it.

I don't know how to debug this, any ideas, anyone?
I want to add my solution:

After Mike's help, I was able to pinpoint the problem to @Daniel Hood's Conversation Essentials, and specifically its conversation search feature.

The moment I disabled ConvEss conversation search, the member's "Postings" no longer bugged as described above.

I am unable to say why only one member was affected (I tested more than a few dozen).

I was told it's a limitation of putting conversations in the search index when it comes to permissions.

So maybe not a bug in Daniel's otherwise excellent add-on :)

Thanks,
Markku

That member likely has a lot of conversations.

The search results are fetched and then any which aren't accessible due to permissions (e.g conversations) are discarded.

So if for that member there are 200 conversations fetched, once they are discarded, that leaves 0 results.

Pff... this is still happening even with conversation indexing disabled in Conv Ess. (@Daniel Hood)

I don't know why it happens.

I can fix it reliably by deleting Elastic Search index, and rebuilding the search index.

It now always starts to work after that. This is different from before though; when I had conversation indexing enabled, deleting the search index and rebuilding it didn't fix the problem. Now it does, but only temporarily.

But every single day, at some point in time, it again starts giving me "does not have any recent content", for this one single member. The same member as before. All other random members I've tested work fine.

It's driving me insane, no doubt about it.

Well, I just now upgraded to ElasticSearch 1.7.0 from the 1.6.0 series so let's see if it again happens...

Does disabling the conversations essentials add-on prevent the conversations being indexed?

You will need to confirm that with the developer.

If it seems to randomly happen, that may certainly point to an issue with Elasticsearch. It might be worth restarting ES to see if that makes a difference. (If it does, I'm not really sure what the next troubleshooting step would be.)

Does disabling the conversations essentials add-on prevent the conversations being indexed?

You will need to confirm that with the developer.
Yes it did.

If it seems to randomly happen, that may certainly point to an issue with Elasticsearch. It might be worth restarting ES to see if that makes a difference. (If it does, I'm not really sure what the next troubleshooting step would be.)
After I installed ElasticSearch 1.7.0 last Friday, this issue hasn't happened again.

And it used to happen daily.

So I'm hopeful ES 1.7.0 did something there, I don't know what.

(above for anyone who might stumble across this odd issue, even though it may well have been just something our system exhibited).

@Big Dan

Did you ever solve this issue? (which this thread of yours is about)

I just upgraded to 2.1.1 ES and I still get this dreaded issue. (My above post, where I thought 1.7.x ES had fixed it, ended up me calling it a victory too early; the issue occurred again, and kept occurring, and kept occurring, and kept occurring...)

For 24-48 hours or so after deleting the ES index from the ElasticSearch Setup in XF ACP, everything works fine.

But at some point very soon thereafter some members' "Postings" doesn't work. It returns the dreaded "does not have any recent content" (which is false)!

Deleting the index again makes things work for a little while, a day or two max, but then it starts again!

Vicious circle.

And the elasticsearch logs don't tell me anything meaningful regarding this. When I click "Postings" (when the issue happens), no errors are output in the log.

I'm dumbfounded what causes this, and why it doesn't happen to everyone using ES.

Maybe it's down to some add-on of mine?

We do have several, but if it were down to an add-on, why would the "Postings" tab work fine for a day or two before stop working (until deleting the index and starting fresh)?

One way to determine if it's an add-on causing it is to disable all add-ons (other than ES) and re-enable them one at a time until the issue reappears.

That will likely take a while though if it takes several days for the problem to manifest, as you will need to wait several days after enabling each add-on.

I believe I might have nailed this down to either Conversation Essentials, Moderator Essentials, User Essentials or Bookmarks by @Daniel Hood

Speculative but maybe true:
It seems XF out of the box shows 15 latest items in the "Postings" tab in member profiles.

I went thru a number of XenForo.com member profiles and all of them had 15 items in "Postings".

Now...

On my site, me and my other staff member had 6 items yesterday.

5 today.

It seems they are decreasing one by one, until "This member does not have any recent content" comes up.

The interesting bit...

On Daniel Hood's XenMods.com, many of the site's members have a varying number of posts within the "Postings" tab.

Daniel Hood has 6, Liam W has 1, Spinball has 5, etc...

Even though all of them have way more than 15 posts.

Maybe I'm wrong.

But, as far as I know, @The Sandman uses a few addons by Daniel as well, and...

https://theadminzone.com/members/the-sandman.3/

Only one post in "Postings".

Even though he posted multiple times yesterday.

I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

But I checked other XF forums which do not appear to have add-ons by Daniel Hood, and they checked out fine (i.e. tha Postings tab had 15 recent posts).

@Mike @Brogan: if a member has, say, 100 posts (more than 15 anyways), is the 15 postings default on XenForo? Should it show 15 latest posts in the "Postings" tab on member profiles?

@Daniel Hood: I'd appreciate if you could check out if any of your add-ons potentially do something with the Postings tab (if those profiles on your site that have over 15 posts should show 15 posts in the Postings tab).

Ah yeah but that we have turned off some time ago (and deleted and rebuilt the search index afterwards), so that doesn't explain it in our case... unless it's still doing something even though conversation indexing disabled...?

Because now that you say it, I do use the PMs a lot.

ok, testing...

CONFIRMED!

I just sent a PM, and the number of posts in "Postings" dropped by one.

I can reproduce this now.

@Daniel Hood your conversation indexing still seems to be doing something even though it's disabled for us.

I never solved the issue. I wound up dumping Extended Search because I could never get Elastic Search to stay running on a consistent basis. This was due more than likely to the competency of the tech who installed than Elastic Search itself. I couldn't deal with the headache of 4 or 5 emails from members every time ES went down so my board went back to regular search.

Top Bottom